Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lyndsey Ollard - Catching Up
Nice track. Its the first time I'm mixing live drums. I had a hard time with this song.

.mp3    mix 1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.13 MB)

While I hear some issues, like the noise of the swell guitar and maybe too much reverb in the mix, I think some of the ideas here were pretty damn cool- like cutting out the intro and opening with the first verse with vocals and a bunch of the tracks muted- very creative move
Ye that noise was something I decided to live with as I liked the sound of that guitar too much. I thought the reverb amount was "much" but not crazy much. Ill try to make a little more subtle reverb version when I get the time.

Thanks for the feedback!
Hello.
I hear a couple of things you could change to the better.
The vocal could be deessed a little (more ?)
The verb sounds good, but I think its too much, especially first half of the mix.
Listen the guitar phrase at 0.48 for one - its very far away and nearly masked by its own verb. Its a shame for its a lovely phrase.
Verb works better when the drums kick in and in the last half os the song.
A lot of interestin guitar phrases can be automated with fade ups and downs to draw the listeners attention.

I second the thumbs up for arrangement changes, you could take it even further, if you wait introducing the strummed guitar till 0.12 or even later. I think makin changes to arrangments are very intersting and fun and can sometimes work wonders, and may be considered a good idea to familiarize oneself with.

Thx for the listen, I liked your ideas and the verb and drums especially sound good.
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Hello and thanks for your thorough review. Ill try to address it in order.

De-essing is something I never learned. The person Im usually mixing has marvelous "s" sounds where I never need to compress. I tried to fix some of the harsher "ess"'s but it just squashed the vocal too much.

I think I agree with you on the amounts of reverb. At least for the vocal. The guitar at 0:48 is so heavily distorted and I couldnt make it sound better. Maybe I should reduce the reverb on that part alone.

Yes I configured the reverb for the "full mix" and used it through out the song. Maybe its also something that I should look at.

Pretty much every track in the song is automated to "enhance" the dynamics of the song.

About the arrangement changes: I didnt want to change it per say, I more tried to improve it. The song was slowly getting "harder" and "harder" but I thought the transitions could be better.