Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Digital Only Logic Proz Late Night Fine People
Hello one. Hello all!

It is my pleasure to mix something so well produced and present a mix accordingly. The drums! My word, they are amazing. The recording engineer and drummer need a medal or something idk. AND that's despite the fact there is only 1 OH mic which didn't seem to matter in the slightest.

Any questions, comments, or cuddles - hit me up.

**Editolas M1.2 - Minor tweaks with an emphasis to clean the mix, bring the vocals and synth line forward and make the intro a little darker.

.mp3    TholasP_SuchFinePeopleM1.1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.58 MB)

.mp3    TholasP_SuchFinePeopleM1.2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.58 MB)

~
Other Mixes
Just a few notes on the mix:

I went for a warmer and full-bodied mix but tried to retain as much of the dynamics as possible.
I also tried to go for a "wall of sound" especially at the end.
The intro is more ethereal and weird then powerful and dynamic when the drums come in.
The verses are more transparent and then thicker and wider for the choruses. I also cranked the drum room for the choruses and then really drove the "wall of sound" for the last 16 bars.
In the breakdowns, I went for more of a dark and distant choir vibe since there were so many great vocals to use.
Then for the master, I went bright and accentuated. I sidechain-compressed the bass and rhythm guitars to the kick and the vocals to the snare. Very mild master parallel compression (15%) with a FF L2 to finish.
~
Other Mixes
I liked the Kick/Bass sounds very full, that's nice, the intro is great too with the panning effect, I find the vocal too much covered however, the outro is the worst part (for the vocal).
(11-12-2020, 07:44 AM)MeaCulpa Wrote: I liked the Kick/Bass sounds very full, that's nice, the intro is great too with the panning effect, I find the vocal too much covered however, the outro is the worst part (for the vocal).
Hwy mate, thanks for the comment. Yeah, I'll have a look into that. The "choir" element is intentionally mucked up but I was trying to get the vocal present in all other cases. Maybe I should revise a mix with more present vocals, or perhaps just pull back some of the other elements like the rhythm guitar or the room drums.
~
Other Mixes
Made a revision on the mix - edit details in the original post
~
Other Mixes
Hey Quathamer! After reading your post, I had to check out your mix. I like it a lot! You really managed to make that one OH track seem like it's super wide. Great!

Low end is very expansive but not overwhelming.

Only thing that bugs me a bit are the vocals. I've heard a lot of mixes here where they almost vanished entirely or where severely undercooked but it seems you went a bit in the other direction - they feel a bit overcompressed to me. It's not a problem during the group vocals but I noticed it on the solo verse vocal.

But that's really the only thing that takes me a bit out of the experience. Otherwise it's a really good mix!
Amateur audio enthusiast.
Twitter: @bjoernkmusic