Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Piece Of Me
Going off the feedback i got from burning bridges , i dialed back on the clarity and made everything sound more cohesive (yet separated). The melody guitar is poking out here and there but it doesnt really bother me as i didnt want everything too flat sounding. I do feel as if there is too much low end going on here.

Mix2: More lively automation rides and a bit more of a controlled low end.

.mp3    Pieceofme Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 12.92 MB)

.mp3    Pieceofme Mix2.mp3 --  (Download: 12.66 MB)

It's a bit too much low end from the kick, especially in the double bass parts. You should bring the kick down in those parts by roughly 1db or use a high pass filter / eq cut and reduce the amount of low end in those passages via automation. The only other thing that throws me off is the ultra hi fi cymbal sound, which is kind of your signature sound I guess Smile

Other than that it's a great mix. It could be even better if you would add an element of surprise to the mix (an unusual vocal delay or something at some point in the mix). I also like the approach of raising and reducing volume between parts (verse -0,5db, chorus+0,5db), or go for a "smaller / narrower" sound for the verse with the rhythm guitars on 50l/50r and then really opening it up in the chorus with the rhythm guitars 100% left and right. You should also consider to significantly bring down the volume in the middle/bridge and put no reverb/delay on the vocals at the beginning of that part. The idea is to make the vocals sound small and fragile (and therefore more emotional), and than add 0,5 db with every additional element that joins the voice and kick/snare until the bridge explodes in this black metal'ish part. You can even add another 0,5 or 1db for the last chorus to make it the loudest part of the song, pushing it harder into the limiter.
Well i can agree that the low end is out of control maybe i could let an compressor break on those double kick parts , as for the vocals i couldnt really control it as it was already processed with reverb and delays baked in so i didnt even bother adding anything more, I guess the Hi-fi sound is just die to the era i came up in, because in the 2000s everything is rather hi fi sounding my mixes usually end up with "that" sound. As far as automation goes maybe i should have tried some whichcraft in the chorus by pushing the mix into distortion or something like that. Although i did miss my usual master fader automation to make things pop, ill revisit this mix to do some clean up. Thanks for the feedback.
A few things for me.

Whisper vocal is missing in the intro. The drums sound pretty dead.. not sure if it's because the overheads are so low but it needs more to come more alive.
Vocals could be cleaner this is maybe too much midrange on those guitars and bass and is clouding the vocals somewhat.. or maybe vocals eq just need a clean up.
I still think the kick could use a highpass on the sub freq. to make it pierce through better.

pretty good balances really is just the eq choices for me.
I appreciate your feedback shul but im not sure what you mean by the drums are dead because it sounds like samples which it is. and about the vocals are concerned there is no "clouding" as far as i can hear. I chose to push the vocals into the back of the image but to me i can still hear exactly whats being said. I muted that whisper vocal. also im actually already pulling alot of mid range from the bass, imo i dont think anything needs corrective eq but i could be wrong. Thanks for the listen.