Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Without You (Remix) by The Kid Laroi
Yes, not quite a remix is it? Just a version with Miley.  (You think her people contacted his people or.....) 

What you call 'awful' and 'worse'... Genius production and marketing surely?  The original production was certainly pretty good on that level I thought. They obviously got some extra budget from somewhere, unless of course this gem was already sitting on a laptop somewhere, unloved, waiting to see the light of day... 

Were they not hitting some particular demographic or something?  A quick internet search shows it did actually make the news in the, um,  Daily Mail in the UK.

The original video has 55 million views and 1 million likes.  I guess that makes it reasonably popular?  What is the benchmark for popularity these days? 

(As an aside - my favourite vocal moment in the original video is at 2:00 mark - pure magic right there!).

This version has 10 million+ views and 250,000 likes so far?

Sadly no wandering around in the desert ( or was it salt flats) in the new video.  There does appear to be some alcohol, smoking, and a fairly sizeable mushroom, and a McDonalds makes an appearance at 1:33....  Not sure what the message is supposed to be here exactly. Would have to ask 'Grade A' productions about that I suppose. I would have perhaps liked to have seen some piano playing in the desert in the new video though. Maybe next time.

Lazy vocal? Just the current evolution of the 'indie' vocal style isn't it. Got to make it all sound 'deep and emotional'.  Something real, got to be able to make that connection with it.  It's like they really do understand what I am going through too you know. How DO they do that?

Eurodance version?  Maybe.  Is that popular again? (Was it ever not popular?)  I would have thought it more likely the next version would be that pop version of 'deep house' with pitched down vocals, rather than pitched up. Thats also likely yesterday's news too.  To be honest I have no idea what the current thing is.  Years ago it was ukeleles and xylophones or something wasn't it? More recently disco-house.

Oh, nearly forgot.. For me the most interesting thing about the two tracks is the complete lack of drums. 

Cheers!

edit: Grade A productions (Lil Bibby) is a joint venture with Interscope Records, so the same people.
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(06-06-2021, 05:36 PM)mikej Wrote: Were they not hitting some particular demographic or something?  A quick internet search shows it did actually make the news in the, um,  Daily Mail in the UK.

Definitely core demographic, I agree.

Quote:The original video has 55 million views and 1 million likes.  I guess that makes it reasonably popular?  What is the benchmark for popularity these days?

Somewhere under the bench, I suspect. Popularity is a fickle master...

Quote:(As an aside - my favourite vocal moment in the original video is at 2:00 mark - pure magic right there!).

But there are so many to choose from.

Quote:Not sure what the message is supposed to be here exactly.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha... >gasp< ...hahahahhahahahahahahahahahaha!

'Message'... what a quaint concept!

Quote:It's like they really do understand what I am going through too you know.  How DO they do that?

It's a psychic link between all us teenagers, I think.

Quote:Oh, nearly forgot.. For me the most interesting thing about the two tracks is the complete lack of drums.

Agreed -- great point, actually. And it hadn't struck me, but it is indeed unusual.

Quote:edit: Grade A productions (Lil Bibby) is a joint venture with Interscope Records, so the same people.

Quelle surprise! Trebles all round! Smile
Mike Senior Wrote:Somewhere under the bench, I suspect. Popularity is a fickle master...

Yeah seems you are probably right there.  It would appear that you need to be in the 100-200 million views these days. I guess they are currently trying hard for the U.S. Market, what with the Bieber and Miley collabs, etc.

So might be a bit early for trebles just yet.  We shall see I guess.  I wonder if a Jake Paul collab will be next? (Have you reviewed any of his music yet?)

All fascinating stuff anyway.  I would have missed it all entirely if it wasn't for the review. 

Keep up the good work!

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!