Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Friggy Mix - Such Fine People
Great song, produced really well, which made everything come together easily.

.mp3    00-Such Fine People MixV1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.65 MB)

This sounds fantastic!, the vocasl is muffled which is the only thing hindering this mix imo. Great Job!
Thank you. Completely agree about the vocals, went back after giving the ears a break and adjusted the highend on the lead and background vocals.

.mp3    00-Such Fine People MixV2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.65 MB)

REally like what you did with that bass.. sounds yummy Lol. good reverb choice for snare, it's smacking really on point. the only thing for me would be that thump on the kick is a lil too much at points... but this is a great mix I agree.
Hey Friggy, glad you enjoyed the production! We poured a lot of hard work into that one. Smile

Love the snare reverb, as Shul pointed out. Makes the snare sound positively devastating! Bass region is very strong in your mix - maybe you've been compromising some (too much?) separation and clarity between kick, bass, and guitar low end for raw size? I have a bit of a hard time actually hearing the bass guitar. While it's certainly not the most interesting part of this production, if I had hired you for this mix, that'd probably be on my revisions list. Smile

Also agree with latanielvss. on the vocals. They sound a bit raw still. I know they're also fairly dry in my original mix, but in hindsight, I actually would've loved to give them a bit more space to breathe. Don't be afraid to compress them to hell and back, they need to be able to stand out of the dense arrangement. In my original mix, I first caught the worst peaks with a limiter (only 1-3 dB), then slammed it with an 1176 for a good 10-20 dB GR, and then did another 2-3 dB of leveling with an LA-2A.

Cheers and keep up the good work!
Amateur audio enthusiast.
Twitter: @bjoernkmusic
Thank you for the comments, and to BKM, thank you for getting this song uploaded for us to work on. I'll open this mix tomorrow to tackles what was mentioned, I've got some ideas that should do the trick without messing up everything else.

The snare verb comes a lot from the room track here, then a bit from a preset I made in Valhalla VintageVerb set to the nonlin mode, I'll post those settings for anyone who has the same plugin and can try it out.

Bass I'm sure needs some work, I'm probably over-doing it because I'm referencing a lot of Serban Ghenea mixes, and trying to match them. I don't think I'm anywhere close lol, but it has been a good exercise.
<ValhallaVintageVerb pluginVersion="2.0.2" presetName="Snare 02" Mix="1" PreDelay="0.25999999046325683594" Decay="0.2060000002384185791" Size="1" Attack="0" BassMult="1" BassXover="0.73199999332427978516" HighShelf="0" HighFreq="0.30000001192092895508" EarlyDiffusion="1" LateDiffusion="1" ModRate="0.14399999380111694336" ModDepth="1" HighCut="0.48199999332427978516" LowCut="0.30399999022483825684" ColorMode="1" ReverbMode="0.625"/>

So there is the preset. I set the predelay so that right after the snare hits, this verb fills in the sides and creates a "bloom" effect.

For the mix I sent a lot of the vocals to a buss with an 1176 and blended that in parallel, mainly just turning up the vocals but the 1176 gives some saturation as well. Also automated some of the delay sends I had on the vocals.

For bass I boosted around the 1khz area to get the notes to pop out more. And on the master I added a multiband comp to just do around 1db of control in low end to keep things a little more even down there.

.mp3    00-Such Fine People MixV3.mp3 --  (Download: 8.65 MB)

Hey Friggy, thanks for sharing the preset! I like this a lot, I think you really improved on things here. Awesome!
Amateur audio enthusiast.
Twitter: @bjoernkmusic