Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Such Fine Tracks
Hi takka , im not disregarding any feedback in fact i really appreciate it. The mono thing to me is that due to my LCR mixing style, stuff on the side will always come down 3db or more because of how phase works. The stereo mix is more important than the mono mix imo. as more and more people are listening in stereo these days. Ill get to revisiting this mix when i get time. have a great day Smile
(06-12-2020, 04:53 AM)takka360 Wrote: In mono its all vocals,kick and snare . The guitars are gone so i don't know where you get that Friggy its all way way to wide
Your mix folds down to mono just like any other rock/metal track , I wouldn't worry about it ?More terrible adviceĀ 

An Andy Wallace mix in mono ,no missing guitars
Actually that track you provided was not mono, this is... anything centered will always sound louder than anything left or right. This is why you boost the left and right panned stuff so in mono the volume does not decrease dramatically. I agree that if they are completely different guitars or melodies etc. mono will not have that many phase issues but the opposite is true if the same guitar tone, guitar playing etc, is panned.

having said that, that's why I agree with you on the drums being so loud, precisely because in mono it's just drums and vocals and bass.. Anyone listening through their phones will not hear a good representation of the song. As a matter of fact, I sometimes use a bluetooh speaker to hear some music.. most bluetooths are mono. Unfortunatly not everyone listens in quality cans or monitors.. so a mix should always translate well in the stereo field as well as the mono field.

anyways that's my opinion. Smile

.mp3    andymonomix.mp3 --  (Download: 3.74 MB)

Hey latanielvss, that's a great sounding mix in my opinion. You brought the vocal out nice and upfront, which I appreciate. A lot of the other mixes I checked out had kind of buried and raw sounding vocals. However, the mix sounds a bit scooped to me overall, making it a tiny bit abrasive maybe? My original master is maybe a bit on the dull side in hindsight (I'm still KICKING myself for the dumb routing mistake that ended me up with just one overhead track) but especially the stereo guitars here I find a bit abrasive.

Regarding the mono / stereo discussion: obviously if the mix starts sounding phasey and wrong once you collapse it down to mono then there's a problem, like too much artificial stereo widening on individual elements or the master. Other than that, most metal productions have this "issue" where the guitars reduce quite a bit in size once you go mono. Most metal productions these days use similar or the same tone for the left and right guitar simply because they're meant to be perceived as one particular instrument. Or in other words: the stereo guitars serve one particular functional in the mix, as a unit. Of course, if you choose different tones or even different performances for the left and right guitars, then that's gonna alter the stereo perception dramatically, but that's not really what we intended here. This is more of a "wall of sound" situation, where the guitars are supposed to hit you as one unit together with kick and bass.

Also, think about the listening situation. Since Pop or EDM mixes will likely be listenend to in clubs or other mono listening environments, mono compatibility is fairly important. Metal, and in particular whatever genre this track is (industrial? we don't even know ourselves), is probably gonna be enjoyed by a fairly niche audience. The most mono this track will see is someone blasting it at too loud a volume in their car stereo. Otherwise, this will live in headphones and home stereo systems of a, on avarage, somewhat audiophilic community (metalheads can be an awefully opinionated bunch wrt. sound quality). So I'd certainly optimize the mix for stereo playback.

With that being said tho, the DIs are provided so you can take this anywhere you want. Those are just my five cents with regards to what we thought during production. Smile
Amateur audio enthusiast.
Twitter: @bjoernkmusic
This entire mix is quite harsh sounding i agree but simply put the guitars L+R panned works together the way they do , no mixer can change the phase relationship between double tracked guitars (i could bring the pan pots more inward but i dont like the sound, plus the "phaseyness" would be more apparent). Maybe ill give it another go in the future.