Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Such Fine Tracks
what a record phew.

PS: I totally forgot about the saw synth just realised the fader was still down

.mp3    SuchFinePeoplMix.mp3 --  (Download: 8.36 MB)

Good job on the mix in general, though one thing, I think your song has too much use of the stereo space. It's nice to feel immersed, but when it to me feels like the kick is at the center and everything else sort of wider apart it feels strange. Try collapsing the song to mono to see what I mean, the guitars becomes buried under that kick
Snare too loud for me .Good sounding mix it does all sound a bit metallic if that makes sense.
The guitars are very cutting and get a bit annoying after a while i think, a bit fatiguing after a while
I agree, these guitars high end is a bit piercing, that kick is a problem aswell its waaay too clicky. , Ignus ive got no idea about using "too much stereo space". i dont like mono music and its not the 60s, and i think alot of people would agree that wider = better. Also nobody listening is going to fold a track down to mono (except engineers). Sorry if im coming across as hostile its not my intention.
(04-12-2020, 09:55 PM)latanielvss. Wrote: I agree, these guitars high end is a bit piercing, that kick is a problem aswell its waaay too clicky. , Ignus ive got no idea about using "too much stereo space". i dont like mono music and its not the 60s, and i think alot of people would agree that wider = better. Also nobody listening is going to fold a track down to mono (except engineers). Sorry if im coming across as hostile its not my intention.
No worries. I just think it sounds a bit too much like being in the middle of the stage during a performance rather than watching a performance. I think there's a happy mean somewhere. You do you, but that's my experience.

Folding into mono was my way of exemplifying what I meant with the kick being the center piece.
kick and snare don't work for me.. they are too loud and they just feel apart from the rest of the mix.. drums were recorded on top of an already mixed part.
Always make sure your mix sounds ok in mono because if it don't its wrong .
Mix in mono as it will get you in the ballpark. If a snare or kick is too loud it will stand out like a sore thumb.
Mixing in mono will also find space for everything in the mix. Sweep an eq around till what ever element you are working on pops out in its own space .But you can keep doing things your way thinking mono don't matter its your choice. You are coming across as hostile .Your a good mixer so make yourself a better mixer and don't disregard feedback.Some people talk total rubbish and dont have a total clue what they are talking about .We sift through the crap and make our own minds up at the end of the day.You can think im talking crap if you like but that wont effect my life .I just take the time to give people feedback.You could be a far better mixer than me or you might not be i don't really care either way we are not here for a competition. We are all hear to hopefully help each other become better
I think it's a good mix, maybe a bit too much around 4k. You could put an eq on the mix buss and just drop 4k by a few db, take down some of the click of the kick+snare, and the shhhhh of the guitars, in one move. Balances sound good to me though, and it's in the same vein as the ref mix.

I'm not hearing anything wrong with the stereo in this one either. Your mix folds down to mono just like any other rock/metal track. Double track guitars always get a little quieter in mono. This track doesnt have a 3rd guitar track for the center, I wouldn't worry about it. While playing your track I was looking at my goniometer, which stayed close to +1 the entire time.
In mono its all vocals,kick and snare . The guitars are gone so i don't know where you get that Friggy its all way way to wide
Your mix folds down to mono just like any other rock/metal track , I wouldn't worry about it ?More terrible advice

An Andy Wallace mix in mono ,no missing guitars

.mp3    Andy Wallis mono.mp3 --  (Download: 9.36 MB)

Not terrible advice at all, seeing how we are talking about a song with double tracked guitars that are identical tones and playing. That just always folds down to a quieter mono signal.

For mixing we can negate that a little by giving them separate tones, more midrange on the left, more scooped on the right. Or if we have DI tracks we can do more of a production choice, like a Mesa Rectifier for the left, and a Marshall for the right. More differences, so less cancellation in mono.

And that's what we hear in your Young the Giant track. Left guitar is practically a clean signal in the verses, compared to the fuzz-pedal like distortion on the right guitar. Playing different parts as well. When the chorus hits and the left gets more distorted, you still hear two different characters of distortion, two different ways the riff is being played, and it's probably two different guitars used for left and right.