Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dark Ride - Hammer Down (Hein-Ivan Mix)
My mix of this song. Thanks for listening!

.mp3    Dark Ride - Hammer Down.mp3 --  (Download: 11.38 MB)

Hi!
Power mix! I like how you mix the whisper vox!
In this case, I think that the snare have too much highs for this style.
Anyway, good job Smile
Pep from Pepus Estudi
Bus-Comp Warm-Audio, Focal Alpha 80, Klark Teknik 76-KT, Klark Teknik EQP-KT, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, X Touch One Behringer, Arturia MiniLab mkII, 
Mackie Big Knob, Sonarworks SoundID Reference,
Cakewalk by Bandlab
(02-04-2021, 06:40 AM)supep Wrote: Hi!
Power mix! I like how you mix the whisper vox!
In this case, I think that the snare have too much highs for this style.
Anyway, good job Smile
Hi supep! Many thanks for the feedback! Smile
As for the snare, supep is right. But I don't think it's too much highs - I'm instead missing some serious weight here. The snare needs to be much fatter, with more bottom end while preserving the highs. The easiest way would be to add one or two beefy snare samples to the mix to make the snare fatter. Go for darker, fatter tones without a lot of transients and slowly bring the volume up until the snare sound fatter (but not louder!). You can reduce the transients of the samples with a compressor (with a superfast attack) or a transient designer to get rid of any unwanted attack. If the samples mess up the mids or the high end, just remove the mids and/or highs from the samples with a simple high cut filter until it sounds right again.

You can also try to route the original snare track to a dedicated "fat snare bus" with a compressor with a superfast attack or Transient Designer to completely get rid of the transients, add a low boost around 200 hz (you have to check the correct value, might be higher / lower) and slowly introduce this bus back into the mix until the snare sounds fatter.

There are also other things that should be fixed, but the snare is by far the biggest weakness of this mix, so I would start there.
(03-04-2021, 01:01 PM)Blitzzz Wrote: As for the snare, supep is right. But I don't think it's too much highs - I'm instead missing some serious weight here. The snare needs to be much fatter, with more bottom end while preserving the highs. The easiest way would be to add one or two beefy snare samples to the mix to make the snare fatter. Go for darker, fatter tones without a lot of transients and slowly bring the volume up until the snare sound fatter (but not louder!). You can reduce the transients of the samples with a compressor (with a superfast attack) or a transient designer to get rid of any unwanted attack. If the samples mess up the mids or the high end, just remove the mids and/or highs from the samples with a simple high cut filter until it sounds right again.

You can also try to route the original snare track to a dedicated "fat snare bus" with a compressor with a superfast attack or Transient Designer to completely get rid of the transients, add a low boost around 200 hz (you have to check the correct value, might be higher / lower) and slowly introduce this bus back into the mix until the snare sounds fatter.

There are also other things that should be fixed, but the snare is by far the biggest weakness of this mix, so I would start there.
Hi Blitzzz! Many thanks for the comments and suggestions. For me, I never add samples to drums if not the producer includes them. This library is a way for me to try to get a good mix out of what's provided and to learn. I know that many do replace the drums with samples and that's OK. I also do that if the producer asks me to do that in a paid session. Yes, I do agree that this is not a good mix, but I will try later on a new mix and hopefully I have learned something. Many thanks and cheers!