Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Angel Saint - Sat Night Mix
Hi All,
Here is my mix of AngelSaint. I had a blast mixing this, and let all of my conservatism go on it. I tried lots of experiments, and really loved how some of them came out. This is the first time I played with phasing for stereo effects! (translates ok in mono, but is definitely not the same mix - it's got some mono holes) My vision for this one changed when I got into it, but I liked the direction it led me.
Please give it a listen. And as always: criticism/feedback is encouraged!! (especially with all the experimentation I did here - I'd really love to hear how effective it is to different ears).

.mp3    Angel Saint 1-12-13.mp3 --  (Download: 5.21 MB)

Hi lowstring,

Whoa -- there's another bold vision! You've taken things miles away from my initial idea, which weirds me out a bit, but I probably just need to reprogram my expectations there! I've lived with the original version of this song for the best part of 10 years, after all...

The idea of thinning out the verses is a strong one, though, and you've certainly be bold about it. I do wonder, though, whether you could make more of this by really giving the bass a fuller low end on the choruses. It still feels a bit constricted at the low end even at those points.

Lovely to hear someone making real capital out of the viola solo. Great borderline break-up distortion on it too. Gives it a whole new character that I never thought I'd hear out of that line. Good work there! Not sure about the stereo treatment on the bass there, though -- it's a really important line for the music there, and I'm worried it might get a bit lost to mono-incompatibility on smaller playback systems.

One final thing -- there's some kind of low pitched tone you've added somehow in the first chorus that clashes with the harmonies for me. The harmonies are quite involved in this song, so it's probably better to keep them unambiguous, I'd say. It's tricky enough convincing the listener of their logic as it is! Smile

Thanks for broadening my mind!
Hi Mike,

What a pleasure to have you comment on one of my mixes! I'm sorry that it was one that wierded you out; it took me in a different direction that I set out to go also, but I really liked it so I ran with it. I had an hour tonight so I worked with it again, trying to take some of your direction. I added some low bass and a little kick on all the choruses. I also searched for the low end disturbance in the first chorus that you mentioned, and all I can think is that the supporting synth part was interfering is some unpleasant way so I eq'ed it a bit and rebalanced it (I'm sorry to say that I didn't hear the part that irked you, and I didn't have enough time yet to really delve). I also played with the bass in the viola solo section a little. I'm still not committed to my treatment of it's width, but when I bring it full center I don't like the way it plays with the viola. I changed things quite a bit, but I still have everything above around 400Hz in the bass slightly outside the viola, and I ran the low end and a 40ms delayed high end down the middle to attempt (and I don't know if I'm following the theory correctly - it's all learning and experiments with me) to use the Haas effect to keep it nudged out in Stereo, but allow it to play well in mono (it does play a lot better in mono than my first attempt). It's just the most recent experiment, but I think that it vastly improves on my last mix (now I just have to decide if I like it enough to stick with it, or give up and let the bass back to the middleConfused).
Thanks for a very nice compliment on the viola solo! it is so heart wrenching and climactic that I wanted to give it a nice seat up front. I was very proud of how it turned out, and listened to it a lot when I was done - just to soak in it.
Please let me know what you think of the new mix, and again: Thanks so much for listening!!

(13-01-2014, 08:39 AM)Mike Senior Wrote: Hi lowstring,

Whoa -- there's another bold vision! You've taken things miles away from my initial idea, which weirds me out a bit, but I probably just need to reprogram my expectations there! I've lived with the original version of this song for the best part of 10 years, after all...

The idea of thinning out the verses is a strong one, though, and you've certainly be bold about it. I do wonder, though, whether you could make more of this by really giving the bass a fuller low end on the choruses. It still feels a bit constricted at the low end even at those points.

Lovely to hear someone making real capital out of the viola solo. Great borderline break-up distortion on it too. Gives it a whole new character that I never thought I'd hear out of that line. Good work there! Not sure about the stereo treatment on the bass there, though -- it's a really important line for the music there, and I'm worried it might get a bit lost to mono-incompatibility on smaller playback systems.

One final thing -- there's some kind of low pitched tone you've added somehow in the first chorus that clashes with the harmonies for me. The harmonies are quite involved in this song, so it's probably better to keep them unambiguous, I'd say. It's tricky enough convincing the listener of their logic as it is! Smile

Thanks for broadening my mind!

.mp3    Angel Saint 1-16-13.mp3 --  (Download: 5.14 MB)

(12-01-2014, 10:20 PM)lowstring Wrote: Hi All,
Here is my mix of AngelSaint. I had a blast mixing this, and let all of my conservatism go on it. I tried lots of experiments, and really loved how some of them came out. This is the first time I played with phasing for stereo effects! (translates ok in mono, but is definitely not the same mix - it's got some mono holes) My vision for this one changed when I got into it, but I liked the direction it led me.
Please give it a listen. And as always: criticism/feedback is encouraged!! (especially with all the experimentation I did here - I'd really love to hear how effective it is to different ears).

Hi Lowstring thanks for commenting! It sounds like you like a lot of mids for the vocals and the rest of the song? Or something. I liked the 2nd mix better caused you made everything sound heavier on the low end and it filled more space in the mix. I really loved the way the viola solo stood out. Quite different than the way I envisioned my mix. Thats why this mixing community is good, different tastes. good job. I also added a second mix took your advice on the vocals.
-Kostas