Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Robert Hammon: 'The Elephant' - Studio C Mix
Criticisms welcome. Compliments, too, if so warranted. LOL

.mp3    TheElephant_StudioCMix3.mp3 --  (Download: 10.97 MB)

It sounds pretty good, although I feel like the whole thing might be compressed a little too much. I'm not hearing much dynamic difference between the loud and quiet parts. Also, I feel like the chorus vocals are just a slight bit too loud and end up sounding disconnected from the band -- but it's not by very much. Overall nice job!
(02-12-2020, 03:01 AM)DrakeEq Wrote: It sounds pretty good, although I feel like the whole thing might be compressed a little too much. I'm not hearing much dynamic difference between the loud and quiet parts. Also, I feel like the chorus vocals are just a slight bit too loud and end up sounding disconnected from the band -- but it's not by very much. Overall nice job!
Thanks for the feedback. You're probably right on the over-compression. I think I hit the group busses a little too hard trying to get the snare to peak it's head out. I suck at mixing snares. LOL I should probably go back and add some automation to help with the vocal balance in the chorus. This was a fun one to mix so I wouldn't mind revisiting it.
This is overall pretty solid! Just two thoughts:
The hats have a bit of a whistling frequency that is sticking out to me and masking the lead vocal/upper midrange of the guitar. I'd either notch eq that frequency, or use a multi-band compressor on that range in the drum overhead track.
The vocal ambience is really good, but a little too obvious. I'd maybe try to keep it a little lower in the mix, then automate it up to accentuate the tail ends of the vocal to give them emphasis.
(11-01-2021, 05:15 PM)christophercos Wrote: This is overall pretty solid! Just two thoughts:
The hats have a bit of a whistling frequency that is sticking out to me and masking the lead vocal/upper midrange of the guitar. I'd either notch eq that frequency, or use a multi-band compressor on that range in the drum overhead track.
The vocal ambience is really good, but a little too obvious. I'd maybe try to keep it a little lower in the mix, then automate it up to accentuate the tail ends of the vocal to give them emphasis.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll take a listen for that whistling frequency. And that's a good idea about automating the vocal fx. I'll have to try that!