Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Foundation Mix by Draper
Howdy!

I downloaded this track yesterday and spent somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 hours on it.  Was going for a pretty pop-ish mix with a lot of energy.

I used Harrison Mixbus 32C, and mostly Slate's VMR and some instances of Kilohartz Multipass on some tracks, aside from the buss verbs and delay.  I had two different room reverbs for vocals, and had a 3rd tile room reverb for the guitar and wurlitzer, and drums, and a lead vocal, and horns. . . huh a lot of the tracks.  I used repeater for the chorusy delay sound, but have it kind of subtle.  

For the drums, I copied the kick and snare tracks, and gated one of each instance, and blended that in with the ungated track, giving a little extra punch.

The bass I tried to make super fat and foundational (forgive the unintentional pun) and added a sub harmonic generator at 33.3 hertz to keep a bed of bass. 

I actualy reamped the guitar and wurlitzer together using TH-U to give them both a little bit more grit.  

I sidechained the bass with the kick, and sidechained the kick with the snare, so there was a little less snare bleed coming from the kick. 

Lots of Saturation and and fine layer of consitent compression on the vocals. Hopefully the compression doesn't make everything feel lifeless. 

Finally, I added a lot of saturation with one of the preamps in slate's VMR to keep the mids kind of creamy, and help knock down some heavy hitting transients. 

I hope that it comes across as clean and bright, but not brittle and harsh.

Thoughts, comments, criticisms?

Thanks for listening!
Draper

Edit: Changed my bass a bit, moved and turnded up the dobro, and brought the background vocals up a touch.

.mp3    Foundation - Draper Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 7.52 MB)

.mp3    Foundation v2 - Draper Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 7.59 MB)

I like it Draper!  It sounds fresh and unique.  There is a good contrast between the vocal and the other elements.  I also like the tonal balance of the vocal, bright and forward, perhaps slightly touching the border of harshness at times but still sounding in control.  Not too much for me to pick on really.  Things get a little congressed in the busier sections with the upper fizzle of the guitars contributing but I'm not sure it's really too much of a problem.  Cool Pass, and an enjoyable listen.
Dave
(22-11-2020, 12:56 AM)Dangerous Wrote: I like it Draper!  It sounds fresh and unique.  There is a good contrast between the vocal and the other elements.  I also like the tonal balance of the vocal, bright and forward, perhaps slightly touching the border of harshness at times but still sounding in control.  Not too much for me to pick on really.  Things get a little congressed in the busier sections with the upper fizzle of the guitars contributing but I'm not sure it's really too much of a problem.  Cool Pass, and an enjoyable listen.
Dave
Dave!  I hope you're well, and thanks for the listen!

Thank you very much for the kind words Yeah, it's definitely a little compressed . . . maybe a bit more than a little, but I think you're right when you say it's not too much of a problem. I may take a third pass though, depending on how I feel about it tomorrow.

Thanks again for the listen and the comments!

Take care
Draper
[quote pid='102851' dateline='1605988084']
Hi, I hope you are well, I liked your V2 version, however I remastered it, I would like to know your opinion about it.

Best regards
[/quote]

.mp3    Foundation v2 - Draper Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 6.95 MB)

(19-10-2022, 05:40 AM)POElectronicBox Wrote: [quote pid='102851' dateline='1605988084']
Hi, I hope you are well, I liked your V2 version, however I remastered it, I would like to know your opinion about it.

Best regards

[/quote]

Hey PO,

I think your master sounds great. You didn't just crank up the loudness, the definition of the parts is great, and it doesn't feel heavy handed in the slightest.

Kudos!

Draper