Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burning Bridges (Dark Lord Mix) - Darkride
Very cool song. I mixed this without listening to the release or the tips and tricks. Went with a more 'Classic' metal vibe since the guitars and ending to me scream Maiden!, which is always awesome.

Comments always welcome.

Cheers,

.mp3    Burning Bridges (Dark Lord Mix) - DarkRide.mp3 --  (Download: 8.65 MB)

Overall, the balance is slightly off (vocals are too dominant), cymbals and hihat are too bright and get way too much time in the spotlight. The guitars sound like they have been treated with a hefty brightness boost which really hurts the mix because they lack weight and power compared with the original mix. That's a shame because now the drums have to push the song forward, which isn't enough to make me want to go crazy and bang my head.

Good example: Compare the kick and guitar rhythm in the chorus in your mix and in the original and you will hear a big difference in aggressiveness and power. Every time the guitars and kick play in sync, they push the chorus forward, and the vocals are floating on top of them. Guitars and drums "kick ass", so to say. The only time I had this feeling in your mix was in the first part of the solo. Also, background vocals should never be louder than solos or melody guitars Smile
Thanks for taking the time to comment. Your insights opened a few avenues for improvement for me in a genre I'm still wrapping my head around with what's current.
It's obvious that you have the skills to deliver a good, balanced mix. Most of your mixing decisions aren't wrong - they just don't help the song or make it more exciting imho. I bet you would get a much better, more powerful result if you put less time in fixing things (because honestly, the tracks fit well together and only need a bit of high/low cuts) and more into automation.
I agree 100%. After going back to read your posts about the multitracks, which contain much valuable insight btw, it really pulled into focus for me how we must resist the urge to 'fix' everything. It caused me to re-evaluate the process I'd been following using this site for practice in that the tracks (any, not just these) are recorded a certain way for a reason. Like you said, if you wanted it to sound like Trivium, you would have recorded it that way. So simple, yet often overlooked in our zeal to create. The necessity of utilizing the 'rough mix' as guideline is always talked about, but it sometimes takes things like this to really sink it in. Very appreciated.