Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
I'm Alright
Constructive criticism is welcome!

.mp3    I\'m Alright_Mastering_Nov2020_Master 6.mp3 --  (Download: 6.77 MB)

I noticed my first mix sounded a little dull/muddy so I have made some changes:

.mp3    I\'m Alright_Mastering_Nov2020_Master 10.mp3 --  (Download: 6.77 MB)

Hey Andy,

the frequencey balance is good however, I feel your volume balance is a bit off. The lead vocals and drums (dude why are your toms so loud xD) dominate the mix, while the instruments and bg vocals get lost.
Your mix also feels a bit 'shy' for lack of a better word.

Cheers,
Lukas Angel
Hello Andy,

I like your mix, it is a good job. I like panning and frequency balance. Every instrument can be clearly heard in the mix, clarity is ok.
I have checked your mix both in my monitors and headphones, as well as in my car. In my opinion there are the following issues:

1. Muddy drums.
a) 0:03 sec is muddy, some drum hit sounds like being out of tune
b) 0:34 - 0:35 dead pause before the 1st chorus is not dead and has huge hum from the track 01 Kick (many mixes here in this forum's thread have the same issue, even some of those ones rated high). Fade out would help there

2. Acoustic guitar (track 09_AcGtr1) sounds far away and separated from the whole mix, I would try to pan it closer to the center.

3. Lead vocal sounds crystal clear, but that crystal cuts my ears with its sharp edges - top high frequencies, somewhere in the 5k-7k range. I’d prefer a bit softer sound in that HF area. Maybe de-esser would be a solution.

4. 2:55 Ending - cut off too early, there must be guitar delay tail left after the final vocal's “YOU”.

5. In my opinion there must be more energy in the whole mix, to be louder and more dynamic.

Good luck!