Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dry Mix
Preferred Volume Level:- For Master, it is 50-60 or near Half, For Media Player, it's 100 i.e. Full (without any Audio processing).

Following Mixing Secret For the Small Studios, Mike Senior Advice on Mix Processing.
This is a dry mix, Following and implementing some techniques and guidelines that Mike has suggested from Chapters 1 to 15. Although I would admit that after reading the Book and Watching the Chapter Videos and resources on this Website, I know very little about Mixing and Mastering. I'm trying to learn as much as possible and following the workflow that mike has suggested, But still, there is a lot to learn. 

One thing I noticed while reading the Mix Processing(MSFTSS) book is that, If you really want to have a solid understanding of Music Technology, Then you should also read Recording Secrets for The small Studios and Also your DAW User manual with all the resources on both books resource link.

Anyway, that's just subjective advice. You can follow the reading sequence with which you are comfortable.
Please do provide some feedback and have some discussion here about your understanding of the Content in the Book.

I've mixed using K-14 Metering and there is no master bus processing.

Compressors used are:-
ReaComp on Snare (To control level differences between soft and loud hits, as this production uses RimShots and Hits)
                      Overheads ( To control Kick and Crash Level in the first place, Snare was not the target in this)
                      Guitars ( Due to the dynamic range of Plucked and strummed guitar) 
Waves R Comp with Analog and ARC on Bass guitar to provide Midrange Emphasis a little.

ADHD Leveling Tool on vocals with a Max. -5 dB reduction on Vocals with a 23ms attack and 106 ms release time for controlling the dynamic range of vocals. (Compressor is LA2A modeled, So Ratio is Default factory setting).

Transient Designer used:-
Bundled with Reaper used on Kick (To reduce the attack and snap of the beater)
                                     Sidechain channel of drums ( To emphasize on sustain of the drum kit)

Eq Used is ReaEq on all the tracks. And sidechaining ReaEq on Guitars and Piano for ducking 5-6Khz range with vocals.
Making ReaEq a Dynamic Eq and using it for vocals De-essing.

JS sample delay Plugin on Overheads to align Snare ( After snare alignment kick becomes louder in the left channel and to remedy that I used a ReaEq with Plugin Connector to reduce the Levels of Left channel by -1.2dB for Fixing kick image, but again that causes snare to be out of the center.

All HighPassFilter used are ReaEq 1st Band filter.

Reverb for TONE and BLEND ADDED.

Drums Overhead and Snare Edited to address the phase issues.
After discussing with a Professional Drummer I confirmed my Speculation that Drums are Either MIDI Programmed or Recorded through Electronic Drums and they are not played with proper Articulation. The snare is Having a note due to Rimshot Hits at some places (In the Chorus) and kick is also not according to the GENERE of the track i.e. Kick is Woody in Timber, that is more common in Jazz style Not in Alternate or Rock. Also, the snare Image is not consistent in the overhead channel. So I've tweaked that also.

Guitar Tone is also Not good, But there is nothing I can do to completely alter it, So Instead I tried to use tone reverb (RVERB) to highlight the Mid-range of Guitars.

In Vocals I've added reverb for Blend, The setting was normal with 1.2s Decay and 52ms pre-delay with a -2.6dB 4.2khz damping.

I HAVE COMPILED ALL THE VERSIONS IN A SINGLE DRIVE FOLDER. THE ONE WITH FX ARE 24BIT 48000K WHILE THE DRY MIXES ARE 32-BIT 48000K FOR REFERENCE PURPOSES. 

For reference purposes, I'm providing WAV 48,000hz/- 24-bit file Google Drive MIX FOLDER link.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1...sp=sharing

The last mix with enhanced Reverb is named BAD MIX Big Grin because Personally, I don't like that much high levels of tracks. Although it has a good dynamic range, I can't feel the difference of going from Mezzo Piano to Forte. It is not that obvious as while listening or playing a real instrument or acoustic music.

I'm attaching an MP3 320Kbps for ease of listening.

.mp3    Through My Eyes Upload Vibhu Dixit.mp3 --  (Download: 9.71 MB)

.mp3    Through My Eyes Upload Vibhu Dixit Mid Fixed.mp3 --  (Download: 9.71 MB)

Hard Work With Correct Knowledge+Information in the Right Direction is Not The Key To Success , But Success Is The Name Of these Three Elements Unified.