Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jesper Buhl Trio: 'What Is This Thing Called Love'
(13-01-2014, 10:39 AM)saerw Wrote: Please, say something! Smile

Doesn't look like you've commented on anyone else's mixes. The best way to get feedback round here is to give some first. Smile

Are you a bass player? It sounds a little bit like the 'more me' mix the bass player might request, which seems to me to steal a bit too much thunder from the piano, which I'd say was more the lead instrument here. Yes, jazz like this is ensemble work, but it feels a bit imbalanced in favour of the bass. Also, the bass feels very close to me, whereas the piano is more distant. I'd maybe add a bit more ambience to the bass to pull it back, as well as maybe taking some of its high end out. It sounds like you've added high end to it, in fact, and I think that might be a bit much -- maybe try a boost more around 500Hz-1kHz if you want to bring out the notes without too much additional string slap. Actually, I wonder whether the snare pops out a bit much too, compared with the piano, almost as if it's mixed for pop rather than jazz. (That said, I'm only listening on my PC speakers at the moment, so you should take my sonic suggestions with a pinch of salt!)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jesper Buhl Trio: 'What Is This Thing Called Love' - by Mike Senior - 14-01-2014, 07:33 AM