Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Still Flyin
Hi folks! rate my mix pls

monitoring - headphones only

.mp3    Still_Flyin_224kbps.mp3 --  (Download: 7.32 MB)

I only gave it a quick listen. I think the base, ground level of the song sounds good. The drums and bass seem to work fine. The interesting points, the vocals and lead/riff guitars are a bit neglected/buried. I wish the good bits were louder and more in focus. Tonally it's good though. This is a tricky song and it's a good starting point.
Hi!

Gave this a listen yesterday and thought it was really some very good work so far.

I was initially a little surprised by Roy's comments regarding the vocals and guitar riff being buried. Checking the reference mix though I agree that it needs a little bit of polish adding - to get those vocals and riffs to really shine and jump out the speakers. Also maybe needs a little bit of extra width here and there too perhaps?

I would really like to hear a revision of this with the riffs and vocals brought out a bit more. I think you are really on to something great here.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Thanks for feedback! This is very important to me! Smile

This song is really complicated, although it seems easy at first look. Smile

I tried to correct all the remarks.

.mp3    Still_Flyin_V2.mp3 --  (Download: 10.46 MB)

I've not tried to mix this one yet, although I shall have to give it a go soon now! I don't think I will be able to come anywhere close to your mix. I really struggle with this style. I don't doubt at all that it's a difficult and complicated mix and it sounds to me that you've done an excellent job to get it all under control.

Ok - I've just loaded up your two mixes in the DAW along side the reference mix, and level matched them as best I can, so I can switch between them. Wow! so to me they are really REALLY close, especially the V2 mix. Switching between them in some sections there really is nothing between them.

I think the only difference for me is in the more open parts - there is just a little more volume and punch in the drums (snare), a touch more reverb and perhaps a little more top end to the reference mix, which gives it just that little extra sense of space and air around the drums and vocals. There's really not a lot in it at all though really - what do you think?

Ok, that is all quite small final polish stuff.

Honestly I think it's a great mix. Smile. Really well done.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Thank you! Blush

I tried to make volume and space better, but my skills and patience are not enough yet.
But soon I will return to this mix to finish it.

I think you will get this mix, you only need a little more patience than I have  Big Grin

Cheers!
Nice work.
Hi, Julia Altavista!

I think it's pretty lively, but there are a couple of things I noticed. For starters the overall abrasiveness of the 3kHz region could be soothed a bit?

Those lower pitched voices doing chorus harmonies should probably come down a bit. At times it sounds like there's someone bored in a karaoke.

Rhythm guitars are a bit nasal and end up recalling a small practice amp: around 800 Hz would be my guess.

Lastly: is all the limiting really adding something besides loudness and dynamic range squashing? I'd love to hear it eased. In streaming services it would be turned down at least 7dBs as you can check here. It's not the case to aim for no "loudness penalty" but I feel there's a point where it starts to become senseless.

Anyways, it's really nicely done! : )
Boring karaoke fixed Big Grin

but not sure about the guitars  Confused

.mp3    Still_Flyin_V3.mp3 --  (Download: 10.46 MB)

(05-01-2021, 08:00 PM)Julia Altavista Wrote: Boring karaoke fixed Big Grin

but not sure about the guitars  Confused
What did you do with the kick and snare drum? I assume samples but did you process them at all? Also what guitar part did you use for the intro reverse effect?