Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strobe - Maya
the first variation is mixed the second is how it sounded just throwing all the tracks into Garageband. this song seemed to have a bit much unnecessary sound so I lost that. pretty new to mixing. looking for as much advice as possible. don't pamper me.

.mp3    Mixed Strobe-Maya - 11:12:20, 11.09 AM.mp3 --  (Download: 3.95 MB)

.mp3    Unmixed Maya, By Strobe.mp3 --  (Download: 3.92 MB)

.mp3    2 Mixed Strobe-Maya - 11:13:20, 3.04 PM.mp3 --  (Download: 3.95 MB)

Don't tell me what to do. I'll pamper you if I want. Here's a foot rub. Deal with it, "DEATHSTALLION20". That was my grandmother's name. I wonder if we're related.

I kinda get the idea that you wanted to try a bunch of things without a vision. Which is fine. But might not be best as a "mix". The mixed version feels off. I think you should start fresh. The vocal should be the most important thing and in the center same with the bass and kick and snare. Maybe start by not panning things at first and just blending by level.
(12-11-2020, 07:12 PM)RoyM Wrote: Don't tell me what to do. I'll pamper you if I want. Here's a foot rub. Deal with it, "DEATHSTALLION20". That was my grandmother's name. I wonder if we're related.

I kinda get the idea that you wanted to try a bunch of things without a vision. Which is fine. But might not be best as a "mix". The mixed version feels off. I think you should start fresh. The vocal should be the most important thing and in the center same with the bass and kick and snare. Maybe start by not panning things at first and just blending by level.
thanks so much for your input roy. I was mixing on my mack book airs shitty speakers and couldn't tell how much I had paned those tracks. I'm 17 and very new to the world of mixing so every bit of council is well appreciated. give a listen to that last one. I felt a bit uncertain about what to do with those backup vocals. maybe some reverb. I'm clearly lost.
I'll listen to the new mix when I can. I will say that in mixing, if you're ever lost, go simple. Vocal, snare, bass. Roughly.

I can't tell you what I like about most songs in my memory. I can remember the vocal though. The story. That's what had the impact. Listeners fill in the energy and excitement. The other part accentuate that.

That's all. That's my bit of advice.
(13-11-2020, 09:18 PM)DEATHSTALLION20 Wrote:
(12-11-2020, 07:12 PM)RoyM Wrote: Don't tell me what to do. I'll pamper you if I want. Here's a foot rub. Deal with it, "DEATHSTALLION20". That was my grandmother's name. I wonder if we're related.

thanks so much for your input roy. I was mixing on my mack book airs shitty speakers and couldn't tell how much I had paned those tracks. I'm 17 and very new to the world of mixing so every bit of council is well appreciated. give a listen to that last one. I felt a bit uncertain about what to do with those backup vocals. maybe some reverb. I'm clearly lost.
Keep at it! Look up videos on parallel compression for the drums to stand out and pop out of the speakers. Also, look into subtractive EQ, your mid/low mid range is completely stacked, it fatigues and buries the highs and lows. Roll off low and low mid frequencies on anything that is not kick or bass, the mix will start to clean up. The artists for this track used great and full sounds and the vocals were recorded wonderfully, so EQ boosts are really not needed (for synths and vocals), make more EQ cuts! Utilize the stereo field, try widening and panning the highes, little pans for mid range instruments, and keep the kick and bass right in the middle in mono!