Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strope: 'Maya' (help!)
Hey guys,

Im really unsure about my mix, if you have any ideas or feedback I would be very happy!
V2: changed stuff, a bit happier now!

New Version: Used Dua Lipa's - Dont Start Now as reference and pretty much started from scratch. Mastered at -12.4 LUFS.

Cheers,
Lukas Angel

.mp3    Strobe_Maya_v1.mp3 --  (Download: 3.92 MB)

.mp3    Strobe_Maya_v2.mp3 --  (Download: 3.92 MB)

.mp3    Strobe_Maya_new.mp3 --  (Download: 3.98 MB)

Hi!

First mix (v1) is much better for me than the 2nd. The bass and vocals are much cleaner. It's in pretty good shape and for me just maybe needs a touch of polish here and there really.

Some thoughts and ideas that may or may not be of any use:

Rain track - Personally I'd cut it just before the first kick at 8secs to give the kick more impact. I don't think it needs to be playing after that.

Bass - Could maybe control the low end just a touch with a multiband compressor. Not by much, just a touch to keep it in check with one band set for something like 200Hz and below. It will also make the midrange seem a bit cleaner too. It's about where it should be but needs controlling a little.

Intro synth - This is hitting quite well. Might want to try adding just a touch of width to it with a widener, just to get it slightly outside the speakers. This will also open up the middle of the track just a little for the vocal to sit.

Other elements, guitar, etc - As well as adding a bit of widening, maybe try adding a db or so of somewhere between 4-8k with a wide filter to bring things foward a little in the mix too here and there where you feel it might need it.

Vocal - For me the vocal is just behind the synth, but needs to be in front of it. You could boost the volume just a touch and maybe add a touch more presence, maybe a db somewhere between 3 to 6k ish to make it pop out a touch. Might also need just a hint more plate reverb or something too. I think I sidechained the synth to the vocal so it ducks automatically only about a db or 2 when the vocal comes in. You could also tuck in a very short delay underneath it too (no feedback, just 30ms one side and 40ms the other, or something along those lines). Nothing drastic, just needs a little lift, experiment a bit and see what works.

kick/snare - parallel compress with 1176 and blend in for a little lift?

Final limiter - You can hit it a bit with a final brick wall limiter which for me I think does help give this kind of stuff 'that sound' a little. No need to go crazy. Commercial mixes still get to around 6-7 LUFS still I think. Somewhere around 9ish should sound ok I reckon. You'll also notice if any element is a bit hot and is distorting a bit too early too, once you limit it a bit.

Let me know if thats ok and the kind of thing you are after (or not!) , or if there is anything specific you are wanting help with.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!