Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Enda Reilly's 'Cur An Long Ag Seol' (EquilibriumMIX)
Я сохранил концепцию «близкого» и естественного звучания, но также решил сделать панораму достаточно широкой и глубокой без потери моно совместимости. Не знаю, как мне это удалось. Буду рад получить ваши комментарии.
Unmastered — This is the sound that goes to the main bus. On the main bus, there is an equalizer, a dynamic equalizer, a limiter. There is no intermediate compressor, since it is not needed (IMHO), but it can be set "at the request of the workers" to DRY / WET mode. I can even put it in MID / SIDE and DRY / WET at 30% if needed ... )))

.mp3    Enda Reilly\'s \'Cur An Long Ag Seol\'.mp3 --  (Download: 7.17 MB)

.mp3    Unmastered.mp3 --  (Download: 7.12 MB)

Alexander
Hi,

Why are you limiting/compressing so hard on the master buss? Do you understand what the consequences are on the sound quality when you do this? 

And.....what did you do about the attached "issue" (thumbnail refers), for example?

Thumbnail(s)

"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.
(11-11-2020, 01:52 PM)Monk Wrote: Hi,

Why are you limiting/compressing so hard on the master buss? Do you understand what the consequences are on the sound quality when you do this? 

And.....what did you do about the attached "issue" (thumbnail refers), for example?
Didn't understand how this master buss is very compressed, if not very much? At least I don't see it. I am attaching a link to YouTube: there are two plugins for the video that are responsible for compression. And all the indication that should give information about the changes. If it's not difficult for you, could you, based on this video, tell me what is wrong in the mix and why I do not see artifacts in the sound. The trouble, however, is that I don't even hear them. For example, excessive compression ... I would be very grateful.
P.S. Maybe at 43 seconds of the video - like something clicked? Sounds like it's from the bass ...
https://youtu.be/ttMQegbXY50
Alexander

Is the attached "issue" a snapshot of my mix? I have not been able to find a similar snippet. For this mix, something else is typical. Screenshots are attached.

Thumbnail(s)

Alexander

Maybe you are hinting at "New York compression"? I usually use this during mixing to increase the volume of soft sounds, while being careful not to affect loud ones. I saw no reason to use this on the main bus. I'm trying to solve your riddle ...  Big Grin
Alexander
(12-11-2020, 10:04 AM)Equilibrium Wrote: Is the attached "issue" a snapshot of my mix? I have not been able to find a similar snippet.

So, you want me to spoon feed you.

The fact you didn't recognise this track should concern you. You mixed it, right?  I assumed it would be obvious. Furthermore, there are only 12 tracks, not difficult to look at the nature and timing of the events and compare.  It's not a fiddle, eh? Come on matie, don't be lazy.

This track is a major source of many of your problems. Bass, and bass energy. Got it?

The image shows AUTOMATION and it shouldn't have arrived like this!  But it did. Novices print automation for us to mix, because they don't understand mixing.  It should have been clear to you that it's unnatural. Many novice musician-producers think that adding fader rides like this helps the instrument engage. All it's doing here, however, is create excessive energy.....sub bass energy.  You've not dealt with the problem correctly.

If you compress this, as it currently stands, it will create artifacts/distortion.  And that's what it's done, all the way to the limiter.

So what are you going to do about it?  How are you also going to create, rather than hinder, micro and macro dynamics?

Incidentally,  I hate the vocal modulation effect. It's so wrong for this genre, and it's distracting. I thought you did OK with reshaping his mic response though.

The bass track is fresh in mind because I remixed it recently. And it's still a pig's ear. But at least it overcame the illusion issues the mando and acgtr present, as well as the horrnedous harmonics!!!  And I have more dynamics.  Tongue
"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.
(12-11-2020, 09:38 AM)Equilibrium Wrote: Didn't understand how this master buss is very compressed, if not very much? At least I don't see it. I am attaching a link to YouTube: there are two plugins for the video that are responsible for compression. And all the indication that should give information about the changes. If it's not difficult for you, could you, based on this video, tell me what is wrong in the mix and why I do not see artifacts in the sound. The trouble, however, is that I don't even hear them. For example, excessive compression ... I would be very grateful.

Correct me if I am wrong, but you have a limiter running at -2.0dBFS. It is working often and high gain reduction levels are also evident.  The multi was already heavily processed by inexperienced hands (I won't mention the recording situation!), so you were right in the assessment that it didn't need compressing. But you are compressing it! A limiter is a brutal compressor, no more, no less.

There is a disparity between this limiting and the stats image you posted. It shows a peak of -0.01dBFS. This is a LOUDNESS WAR SETTING. Yeah, I'm shouting. Loudness war mixmasters are distorted - hitting a limiter creates harmonics that are unpleasant and fatiguing. Presenting such audio to most consumer DAC's will result in yet more artifacts. Additionally, your lossy codec will be crapping itself.....and it too is producing artifacts for reasons you don't yet understand.

There are artifacts present in the multi. And you are adding to the artifacts.  If you can't hear them, it's probably because your values, experiences are hence conditioning, are very different to mine.

Try this as a test:
Mix and master it without touching any downward compressors or limiters. Work out ways to increase dynamic as much as possible, not reduce it.

I sense you are using headphones. If so, you won't be able to assess dynamics with your ears.
(18-12-2020, 10:15 AM)Monk Wrote:
(12-11-2020, 09:38 AM)Equilibrium Wrote: Didn't understand how this master buss is very compressed, if not very much? At least I don't see it. I am attaching a link to YouTube: there are two plugins for the video that are responsible for compression. And all the indication that should give information about the changes. If it's not difficult for you, could you, based on this video, tell me what is wrong in the mix and why I do not see artifacts in the sound. The trouble, however, is that I don't even hear them. For example, excessive compression ... I would be very grateful.

Correct me if I am wrong, but you have a limiter running at -2.0dBFS. It is working often and high gain reduction levels are also evident.  The multi was already heavily processed by inexperienced hands (I won't mention the recording situation!), so you were right in the assessment that it didn't need compressing. But you are compressing it! A limiter is a brutal compressor, no more, no less.

There is a disparity between this limiting and the stats image you posted. It shows a peak of -0.01dBFS. This is a LOUDNESS WAR SETTING. Yeah, I'm shouting. Loudness war mixmasters are distorted - hitting a limiter creates harmonics that are unpleasant and fatiguing. Presenting such audio to most consumer DAC's will result in yet more artifacts. Additionally, your lossy codec will be crapping itself.....and it too is producing artifacts for reasons you don't yet understand.

There are artifacts present in the multi. And you are adding to the artifacts.  If you can't hear them, it's probably because your values, experiences are hence conditioning, are very different to mine.

Try this as a test:
Mix and master it without touching any downward compressors or limiters. Work out ways to increase dynamic as much as possible, not reduce it.

I sense you are using headphones. If so, you won't be able to assess dynamics with your ears.
Obviously, it's not a problem to get a clean jazz sound. Is he needed here? Is high dynamic range needed in pop music? I doubt. It is impossible to listen to music on the street, in the subway, in public transport, in noisy places with a large dynamic range. This is the main reason for using high RMS values. How can soft distortions in audio interfere if you are listening to it in a subway car? You will not hear them. But the fact that the volume is not enough in a subway car for listening is for sure. You will have to unscrew the volume knob all the way, "enjoying" the sharp and useless shots of the peak levels of the audio material.

Yes, in laboratory conditions, in a drowned room, on top-end monitors, we hear that the bass seemed to open its mouth, crashing into the limiter. And what of it? Lack of loudness will come to the fore anyway as soon as you step out of the studio onto the street. And small distortions will only help to hear at least some instruments in the endless sound porridge of a noisy street.

I never put the limiter in extreme mode. Does it work often? Well, it does periodically cut short peaks without affecting RMS. The second limiter, as you can see by following the link to watch the video, does not work at all. Its task is to control "0", slightly raising the RMS level.

https://youtu.be/UWr884wHZ-E
Alexander
Sometimes it is really funny here! LOL