Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Alan Mansfield & John Pritchard - Boat Ride.
Really impressed with your v2 mix. Drums are perfect and you manged the vocals very well.
(08-11-2020, 05:31 PM)LukasL Wrote: Really impressed with your v2 mix. Drums are perfect and you manged the vocals very well.
Thanks!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Added mix 3.0. Same direction as the first mix, but started over. I think thats the combo for me - drums take 1, and the alternate bass.

It's hard to have to hide some of those guitar parts though, which is why I tried the 2nd mix. Not sure, might have another go at mix 2.0, the EG 2+3 part is maybe a touch thick in that one.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
That 3rd mix is the best ive heard of this song.Really good mix all the hard work has payed off
Thanks!!! Very kind of you to say.

Cheers!
I have just listened to your mix a few times and this mix is fantastic Every detail you have brought out and it all hits in the right places .It really couldn't be more perfect mate .
I've only listened to V3 and it's Alan's song so defer to his opinion on the mix more than mine but, I dunno. It feels a bit flat. The vocals, lyrically, just feel like a part of the song as opposed to the focus. It doesn't bloom as much as I want it to as a listener. I've not mixed this or listened to any real version so I'm basing my opinion on this mix. It feels like there are points in the song that should impart some feeling of change or impact. The intro seems to dictate the overall level or at least energy of the song and it doesn't really go anywhere in terms of intensity. I find the lyrics a bit hard to interpret. I make some words out but the vocal doesn't feel important to me. I can't say I care about the song or what it has to say.

I'm not saying it's bad. It's very good but it's not magical or engaging to me. And I might be wrong and Alan seems to really like it so I accept I might be wrong but I can't say it moves me as much as others seem to feel. And I'm more than curious to learn how I'm wrong than not.
Mix 2.0 is the way to go, the vibe is great, it's more controlled, less violent, you just need to bring the voice more, less reverb, less effect on it to make it clear on the center, and overall you're saturating a bit here in there on my headphone, but really nice mix!
(14-11-2020, 08:44 AM)MeaCulpa Wrote: Mix 2.0 is the way to go, the vibe is great, it's more controlled, less violent, you just need to bring the voice more, less reverb, less effect on it to make it clear on the center, and overall you're saturating a bit here in there on my headphone, but really nice mix!
Thanks.  Yeah I agree with you 100% with your mix comments.  I would normally revisit to polish it up a bit, but I decided t go more in the direction of the first mix with my third attempt, having listened back to my first two mixes and thinking about it for a bit. 

It's really difficult as there are so many nice guitar parts in the session, but in the end I felt that the more straight ahead drums and guitar riff blasting all the way through was the right way to go with this one.

I'll have to go back and revist mix 2 though and see if I can polish it up a bit.  The tone of the intro guitar figure needs a bit of work too I feel.  I seem to have ended up with a few mixes recently that could do with a bit of work (as opposed to my usual complete basket cases Big Grin).

Cheers!
(13-11-2020, 09:21 PM)RoyM Wrote: I've only listened to V3 and it's Alan's song so defer to his opinion on the mix more than mine but, I dunno. It feels a bit flat. The vocals, lyrically, just feel like a part of the song as opposed to the focus. It doesn't bloom as much as I want it to as a listener. I've not mixed this or listened to any real version so I'm basing my opinion on this mix. It feels like there are points in the song that should impart some feeling of change or impact. The intro seems to dictate the overall level or at least energy of the song and it doesn't really go anywhere in terms of intensity. I find the lyrics a bit hard to interpret. I make some words out but the vocal doesn't feel important to me. I can't say I care about the song or what it has to say.

I'm not saying it's bad. It's very good but it's not magical or engaging to me. And I might be wrong and Alan seems to really like it so I accept I might be wrong but I can't say it moves me as much as others seem to feel. And I'm more than curious to learn how I'm wrong than not.

Fair enough.  Well from my perspective I did play around with it a bit.  In the end after listening back to my first two goes, I just felt it really just needed that same energy feel with the riff all the way through.  I suppose regarding all your criticisms it was a conscious decision to go that way, if that helps any.  I think the vocal is ok though? 

There's more than enough parts in the session to mix it as it speaks to you.  I did try it a few ways.  Personally I can hear loads of different influences in the track and you can go off in any direction.  You can certainly get some more light and shade out of it if that's what you feel it needs!
Cheers!