Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christian Alfaro Trick Bird "Window" Mix
Hello! My name is Christian Alfaro and I am an audio production student at MTSU. I wanted some feedback on my mix that I did of Window by Trick Bird. What works and what doesn't? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

.mp3    Alfaro_Lab3_Window-MST_01 (online-audio-converter.com).mp3 --  (Download: 2.5 MB)

Hi Christian Alfaro! I think you're a terrible person.

I kid, of course. But I want you to be on edge. I keeps you wily.

You have tonal balanced sorted. I like how you have things panned.
Overall, it feels safe. It feels flat and I get that. The desire to "hear everything". Not something I attest to but that's not here nor there.
It's not bad. You didn't do any harm. That's a good start. That said, it doesn't make me want to care about the song.

If this were a logo for a business, it would be clearly presented in beige.

It feels hesitant. I can tell by the panning that you have some desire to present this as an exciting version of this song but held back. I'd rather it were a version that I hated but remembered. If that makes sense.

In the end, you're fine. You know how to tonally balance tracks in a song. The next step as a mixer is making the listener care.

I'll keep posting daft responses until some tells me I'm wrong.
I think you're wrong, RoyM. The song itself is pretty flat, that's obvious from the get go, ain't much to be excited about and from where extract whooping excitement (drums are programmed to begin with, the arrangement is pretty static, etc). It's charm is elsewhere (or nowhere, tastes considered).

Pumping up the drums and adding a bunch of modulation and delay on the vocals come out as forced move to my liking (this is about your posted version), pushing the arrangement to other realms. But to each their own.

Is the daft attitute supposed to be funny? English is not my language, I may be missing the catch.

Christian Alfaro, I think the bass drum is a bit loud (I've got the impression that it's even pushing the master limiter/compressor to pump down other elements). I appreciate it's equalisation direction (reminds me of AKG D12 recordings), but I tend to like it a bit more bass heavy.

Main guitar's low mids could be softened, it would sound more defined and leave room to the vocals. Guitar number 8, especially (but not exclusively), could be more worked upon with eq, maybe some ambience? Also the playing isn't spot on, leaving it so hard panned makes it more obvious (the solution depends on how far you wanna dwell into it). Vocals, as I kinda suggested before, are a little tangled in those low mids, this whispery tone can be tricky. Good mixing!