Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"By My Side" by Kat Wright (Mixed by Jack Atkerson)
  • Hello!
    Here is my mix for Kat West's "By My Side". This is my first ever post on this website! Let me know what you liked and areas I need improvement in.
    Thanks,
    Jack

.m4a    ByMySide_KatWest_AtkersonMIX.m4a --  (Download: 7.16 MB)

That name feels made up but I'll let it slide. I won't even mention it. Please put spaces after your punctuation. I only say this because I'm currently learning to read and any variation in what I expect fills me with anxiety.

This mix feels fine. The low end/proximity effect on the vocal is the only thing I can think of that bothers me. It feels "flat" and a bit boring*. That's partially on the song because it's so laid back but the mix could make it more interesting and move more. It's fine. It's a good start. It could use more dynamics and be more engaging to the listener and not simply in terms of effects. I hate to say that it should be sexier, and trust me, I'm not flirting but it's fleet week and there's a bit of competition.

Anyway, I don't hate you. But I don't not hate you either so, I dunno. It's election day in the US (of A) and I'm on edge. Joe Hills might not win for dog catcher and I'm bristling.

Cheers,Roy

*On reflection, I kinda feel like 'boring' is a loaded critique. I will just say I've had "bad" mixes of a song entertain me, and I've heard "good" mixes that filled me with apathy. It's a nebulous concept but one to keep in the back of one's mind. Never in the front for it gives an unflattering silhouette.
** I could have posted a boring reply but isn't this more fun and demonstrative?