Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Elephant (Aron Devereaux Mix)
Hello! My name is Aron Devereaux, and I did this mix of Robert Hammon's "The Elephant" for my mixing class at Middle Tennessee State University. Any constructive criticism and feedback is more than welcome.

.mp3    Devereaux_Lab3_01 (online-audio-converter.com).mp3 --  (Download: 4.46 MB)

Hey Aron, nice job. A couple things I'm hearing:

The drums feel strange to me, like they're disconnected from the rest of the band. The snare, especially, is jumping out to me. Maybe bring down some of the mids in the EQ. From what I can tell, it sounds like a relatively dry drum kit with a long reverb in the distance, but the reverb doesn't feel integrated into the drum sound, rather something that's sort of floating overtop. Maybe try a shorter reverb that's more integrated into the overall drum mix? (I'm not promising this is the answer, I'm just throwing it out there.)

The stereo delay effect on the lead vocal -- I'd suggest using that more sparingly, like just on specific words here and there, rather than running it throughout the entire verse.

I'm getting that strange sensation of disconnect with the vocals that I got with the drums. I think it's the volume, but also the EQ is giving them a cold feel. Try a little more of the warmer frequencies and less of the mids.

Otherwise I think it works pretty well. Nice work.