Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
nzca lines - pure luxury - mixed by saint thomas ledoux
(31-10-2020, 12:21 AM)Nothing fishy here, Mike, and absolutely no offense intended. I have been using the Cambridge site as a resource for years in the mixing course at MTSU, though I rarely post myself. A few years ago, I met Mike Senior at AES and was able to thank him in person for putting this amazing resource together.For the record, there was no slight intended, just trying to be sarcastic based on St Thomass original post. Clearly that didn't translate as expected! (And yes, I had the great pleasure to work with Arif Mardin a few times.)FWIW, here were the comments posted as part of his mix review: Wrote: overall mix is a little quiet, though that’s way better than too hot. that’s odd given how much buss processing you have in place on the stereo submix. when I switch to input in your Pro Tools session, the level jumps way up, so this looks/sounds like a printing issue

extraneous noises in the break during the first verse sound like a mistake

great vocal processing choices

the lower lead vocal octave should be more forward in the midrange - this would bring him forward and improve his intelligibility

great contrast between sections

snare is a touch bright - less fizz and more thump would give it more weight and keep it out of the vocals’ way

love the inverted polarity moment before the 2nd verse

overall mix needs more weight on the low end - other than the boomy kick, mix lacks energy in the bass octaves

seems like the bridge a cappella vocals needed something extra - these sound too conventional

the instrumental sections work well, including the quirky noises and FX

love the ending - this could have been just a novelty, but by including this earlier in the song, it makes sense. I could also see making this a fadeout just to keep the groove going

regarding your mix process, monitor level calibration takes like 20 seconds and improves your mixes every time

looking at the waveform of your mix, the display is lopsided, which can happen when there are unusual phase relationships in the summed stereo mix. this can affect how loud you can make the mix before clipping: 

https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advic...-lop-sided
time is the best gift you give yourself, so that you can leave a mix alone for a while and then listen later with fresh ears

mikej
(30-10-2020, 09:22 PM)JohnMerchant Wrote: Really? 
Just trying to be supportive, constructive and offer some encouragement by posting my thoughts on the mix. 

Please do let me know if I have said anything out of line here.

What are your thoughts? 

Perhaps you can offer a more informed opinion.

Cheers!

Messages In This Thread
RE: nzca lines - pure luxury - mixed by saint thomas ledoux - by JohnMerchant - 26-11-2020, 06:10 PM