Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Equilibrium (mastering)
I can only correct my mistakes with the help of other people, so thanks in advance for listening and comments.
V.2 — I simplified the mastering scheme, but paid more attention to M/S processing for EQ, DynEQ, etc. I think the result is better.
V.3 — I saturated the MID channel for better balance, increased the bass in the MID channel a bit and paid more attention to the focusing of the vocals.

.wav    \'Can You Say The Same\'.wav --  (Download: 39.7 MB)

.wav    \'Can You Say The Same\' V.2.wav --  (Download: 39.69 MB)

.wav    James Timms x Benjamin Cooseman \'Can You Say The Same\' V.3.wav --  (Download: 39.69 MB)

Alexander
Balance is good, though I feel like the sides are pushed too far, they started competing with the vocal and took a bit of the impact present on the mix. I would back a bit on the Side channel and tone just a tiny amount on the lower mids, where I feel a bit too full as well.
(31-10-2020, 09:14 AM)Kevinw0lf Wrote: Balance is good, though I feel like the sides are pushed too far, they started competing with the vocal and took a bit of the impact present on the mix. I would back a bit on the Side channel and tone just a tiny amount on the lower mids, where I feel a bit too full as well.
Thanks for the comments. I saturated the MID channel for better balance, increased the bass in the MID channel a bit and paid more attention to the focusing of the vocals. Does this sound better (V.3)?
Alexander
To help clarify more on what I consider to improve on the v2, I imported the track to my daw, then made this:

[Image: pyuCsPP.png]

Initially I felt the lower mids were part of the problem, then later I changed to boosting the bass only where needed, trying to leave that ~185hz area untouched (where the snare starts feeling like too much if boosted). Up in the spectrum I took just a bit on the Side to bring the back vocal...well, back; then pushed the Mid slightly to give the main one more space.

I hope this helps more than just words!  Big Grin
(03-11-2020, 07:45 AM)Kevinw0lf Wrote: To help clarify more on what I consider to improve on the v2, I imported the track to my daw, then made this:

[Image: pyuCsPP.png]

Initially I felt the lower mids were part of the problem, then later I changed to boosting the bass only where needed, trying to leave that ~185hz area untouched (where the snare starts feeling like too much if boosted). Up in the spectrum I took just a bit on the Side to bring the back vocal...well, back; then pushed the Mid slightly to give the main one more space.

I hope this helps more than just words!  Big Grin
Thank you very much! With even greater pleasure I would continue to clarify the situation, but the range of its confusion exceeds the size of my imagination. The fact is that this track is dominated by MID/SIDE processing and finding out why I ran into such a curve is a rather difficult task (I cut out resonances). I tried to find the reason, but ... Hanging the EQ at the end of the chain (according to your screenshot) would be wrong, and looking for the reason in the middle of the chain made me yawn with the risk of dislocating my jaws. Big Grin  As a result, having diagnosed "After death the doctor", I stopped digging into it. Many thanks to you. From now on I will be more attentive.
Alexander