Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skyeez & The Whiteflies - Banana Split
Generally I feel the snare sets the tone and space for a whole mix. The vocals are usually also kind of important to hear, so I don't think your concept is that wild.

The example mix (and snare) is a bit weighter on the mids/low mids and a touch darker I think.

I do feel this track/mix is still missing that *something*. On first casual listen to the example mix I thought it could be some sort of, I dunno, 'Hole' sounding thing. (I've been listening to the track Malibu a bit recently - was seeking out some CLA mixes...). I quickly realised that it wasn't that kind of thing at all.

I think you might be on the right lines when you mention the rhythmic side of things. Listening back to it last night I felt that maybe bringing out and balancing the rhythmic elements of all the parts a bit more might be the key - if you get what I mean? Not sure I can properly explain!

Anyway, I certainly managed to get it a bit closer to something once I cut most of that vocal reverb! I knew something wasn't quite right but didn't figure it out. Your critique was much appreciated there!

I may decide to add a better fade at the end sometime!

I'll check your mix of this out soon.. I feel I need a bit of distance from this one - I ended up spending quite a bit of time on it!

Cheers!

Edit: !
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Mate, loving this squeaky clean mix. Only listened to 1.1 but I'm really appreciating how everything is gelling together.

The only thing that popped out at me during the listen was the master seemed a bit honky (between 700hz - 1.5khz). But in saying that, I like the tone that is coming from that area. So maybe if you have a dynamic eq available, I would use it to pull a nice wide bell out of that area when it gets a bit too much, and only by like 2-3db.

That's nit-picking though. And it's something that would be fixed during the mastering phase.

Again, nice mix to listen to!
~
Other Mixes
Hi!

Thanks for checking it out and for the comments.

I can't say that I really noticed the 700hz-1.5khz area getting too much. Saying that though, I have spent a little time with an eq and an analyser and yeah I think you are right that I could lose a db or two there. Taking out a couple of db does make it sound just that bit smoother and polished overall. I think maybe it is kind of just on the edge of that area being an issue, if that makes sense?

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!