Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skyeez & The Whiteflies - Banana Split
Hi,
My mix.
Cheers.

Update: Added mix 1.1.

.mp3    Skyeez - Banana Split.mp3 --  (Download: 8.11 MB)

.mp3    Skyeez - Banana Split 1.1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.11 MB)

Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(11-10-2020, 12:06 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi,
My mix.
Cheers.
Hi mikej! I think you got a good sounding mix of this song. For me, maybe the wide guitars sound a tiny bit hollow. Anyway, I like it. Cheers! Smile
Overall it feels pretty good. I'm a bit gun-shy to critique but here's what jumps out at me.

• The snare feels a little dead to me. But I know there seem to be different camps as to what works for the snare. This is probably just a personal preference.
• I'm not really hearing guitar 1. It's fairly buried. I'm not 'missing' it though but I know it's there and it could be louder but I dunno. It doesn't add a lot either way. Though, it could balance out the acoustic.
• The solo in guitar 4 may have too much delay. It gets in the way of the solo. Maybe automate or duck it back so it fills the holes and tail as opposed to stepping on the guitar. Or maybe just darken/ pan it.
• The vocal could use more de-essing. I'm not a huge fan of the reverb on it. I have no real feedback for that besides it just doesn't feel right to me. Maybe it's too big? I dunno. This might be a personal thing. My grandfather was killed by reverb so I'm sensitive.
• I can't really judge this but I'm wondering if the lows (≈40 or 50hz) might be too much. I can't prove it but I feel like a couple of dB attenuate there might open things up a bit.

I think that's it. It sounds good.
Quote:RoyMOverall it feels pretty good. I'm a bit gun-shy to critique but here's what jumps out at me.

• The snare feels a little dead to me. But I know there seem to be different camps as to what works for the snare. This is probably just a personal preference.
• I'm not really hearing guitar 1. It's fairly buried. I'm not 'missing' it though but I know it's there and it could be louder but I dunno. It doesn't add a lot either way. Though, it could balance out the acoustic.
• The solo in guitar 4 may have too much delay. It gets in the way of the solo. Maybe automate or duck it back so it fills the holes and tail as opposed to stepping on the guitar. Or maybe just darken/ pan it.
• The vocal could use more de-essing. I'm not a huge fan of the reverb on it. I have no real feedback for that besides it just doesn't feel right to me. Maybe it's too big? I dunno. This might be a personal thing. My grandfather was killed by reverb so I'm sensitive.
• I can't really judge this but I'm wondering if the lows (≈40 or 50hz) might be too much. I can't prove it but I feel like a couple of dB attenuate there might open things up a bit.

Thanks for the detailed critique Roy - much appreciated.

Snare - For some reason I'm not getting a sound I am happy with... I had a few goes at it on different days, and this is where I ended up.  Not so much a preference as such, although I was going for a little flat sounding.

Guitar 1 - I thought I got a reasonable 'not too mono' sound from the intro acoustic so ended up with not much to balance, so tucked it in on the left to add a bit of width/interest... so too subtle?

Guitar 4 - I shall check... I thought the delay might have been too quiet!  Might just need it at the end of the part...

Vocals - Ah.  Might be a good call there.  I think the vocal reverb might be the cause of a lot of my struggles with this track.  I set it early and kind of got used to it.  It's a bit more than I realised I think!  Hmm. It might be taking up quite a lot of space in the mix and masking things like the snare a bit too.  I wonder if a lot of my issues with this track probably stem from trying to mix around it. 

Didn't think the esses were too bad.  I manually tweaked a few and also did do some light de-essing.  The reverb will be accentuating them a fair bit too I suppose.  

I'll try and check the lows too. 

My condolences re: the grandfather / reverb thing.

Thanks again.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(11-10-2020, 01:24 PM)heinim Wrote:
(11-10-2020, 12:06 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi,
My mix.
Cheers.
Hi mikej! I think you got a good sounding mix of this song. For me, maybe the wide guitars sound a tiny bit hollow. Anyway, I like it. Cheers! Smile
Thanks for checking it out.  I think I've got a bit more work to do on it yet though!
(11-10-2020, 07:49 PM)mikej Wrote:
Quote:RoyMOverall it feels pretty good. I'm a bit gun-shy to critique but here's what jumps out at me.

Thanks for the detailed critique Roy - much appreciated.

Snare - For some reason I'm not getting a sound I am happy with... I had a few goes at it on different days, and this is where I ended up.  Not so much a preference as such, although I was going for a little flat sounding.

Guitar 1 - I thought I got a reasonable 'not too mono' sound from the intro acoustic so ended up with not much to balance, so tucked it in on the left to add a bit of width/interest... so too subtle?

Guitar 4 - I shall check... I thought the delay might have been too quiet!  Might just need it at the end of the part...

Vocals - Ah.  Might be a good call there.  I think the vocal reverb might be the cause of a lot of my struggles with this track.  I set it early and kind of got used to it.  It's a bit more than I realised I think!  Hmm. It might be taking up quite a lot of space in the mix and masking things like the snare a bit too.  I wonder if a lot of my issues with this track probably stem from trying to mix around it. 

Didn't think the esses were too bad.  I manually tweaked a few and also did do some light de-essing.  The reverb will be accentuating them a fair bit too I suppose.  

I'll try and check the lows too. 

My condolences re: the grandfather / reverb thing.

Thanks again.

Cheers!
I think the snare thing just stems from it being the first thing I seem to gravitate to in the mix. In listening to this one my ear lets the kick slide so long as it does it's job but the for whatever reason I want the snare to set the stage. That's on me, I know, but still. It's not a bad snare sound at all. 
Guitar 1. I don't know if it's "too subtle". I don't think it matters much really. I don't miss it but I know it exists. I think if it were a few db louder it wouldn't hurt but I can't say the mix is lacking because of it.
Guitar 4. I think the delay gets in the way. It could be louder but if it were somehow separate from the guitar part. Either by eq or panning. It's a traffic thing.
Made some changes and added mix 1.1.

Cheers!
V 1.1 sounds greta. So good that I can't spell very well anymore. I both love and hate the snare and I mean that in a good way. I'm really trying to find something to complain about because I love the attention but can't. Wait, the very end kinda gets cut off. C'mon man.
Thanks for checking out the updated version.

I am not that happy with the snare sound. I failed to find a satisfactory solution for some reason. It doesn't seem like it should need a sample. Maybe it just needs to be gated a little closer.

I thought finishing on that particular F (I think) note was ok? I guess I am saying it was a considered decision, rather than an oversight.

Cheers!
I think the snare in this one is tricky for reasons I can't seem to figure conceptualize. It's kind of a quirky song and rhythmic, at least at the start, and if the snare is too straight it can just set a boring tone. I guess it's another 'hook' that could be capitalized upon. There's something about the snare in 1.1 that has a bit of personality and life. It's 'short' for my taste but I think that's a matter of taste. In my mix the snare was generally pretty floppy sounding. Partially because I suppose I gravitate to snares like that and in an effort to have it try to be interesting.
I think I have the concept of the "supermarket mix" where all you hear is the vocal and snare and inflated the importance of the snare too much.
As far as the end I think it may have felt chopped or unnatural. The end point is fine but could use a small fade or something. A minor point but I was trying to find something to complain about.