Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strobe-Maya
Thanks for the listen! It was fun working on the vocal and navigating the low end.

*2 Version. Thanks for the listen. You'll let me know if there's anything wrong, right? Smile Thanks

**3 version (Strobe-Maya_6). Cleaned up as suggested to bring the snap to the snare and worked on the bottom end a bit more (clearing out some mud). Brought up the whisper to add some top end to the vocal. Seemed to help. Thanks for the listen!

.mp3    Strobe-Maya_6.mp3 --  (Download: 6.52 MB)

.mp3    Strobe-Maya_2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.52 MB)

.mp3    Strobe-Maya_5.mp3 --  (Download: 6.52 MB)

It feels a bit skewed. The drums and bass feel "in your face" but everything else feels in the background. Especially in the chorus.
(09-10-2020, 06:02 AM)SonicTramp Wrote: Thanks for the listen! It was fun working on the vocal and navigating the low end.
Hi SonicTramp! I think you are in the right direction sound-vice. The vocals are a bit too low in the mix and when the second bass starts, it's a bit too loud. Good job. Cheers!
(09-10-2020, 10:15 PM)heinim Wrote:
(09-10-2020, 06:02 AM)SonicTramp Wrote: Thanks for the listen! It was fun working on the vocal and navigating the low end.
"Hi SonicTramp! I think you are in the right direction sound-vice. The vocals are a bit too low in the mix and when the second bass starts, it's a bit too loud. Good job. Cheers!"

Thanks, heinim, for the comment. I am struggling to get the vocal to where I wanted it to be. I wanted to get the bottom end right first, so, yeah, spent a bit too much effort on it and neglected others. My bad. I'll work on it some more and see. Thanks, man.
Sounds like you're making some good progress from your first mix to your most recent...

Something that's catching my ears - the SFX are pretty heavily featured in this mix, and unless that's done intentionally, you'd likely open up a fair amount of room for instrument information if they were dialed back a bit. The rain track in particular is pretty prominent throughout most of the song, which is eating up a fair amount of space for highs... might help create a little room for your vocals that you're trying to find.

Also, when the two basses add to each other during the choruses, it sounds like it's swallowing up the drums a bit. It would help give the choruses more juice if we got to hear the snare cracking through more. You're on the right track though, good job.
Hey Sonic Smile on the right track indeed but needs some polish to finish the mix. Drums are quite prominent in highend at higher volumes but feels nice when turning down the volume. Nice "modern" highend though but in context to whole master a bit un adressed, think some sort of highend clipping and eq can work. Or just eq drums a bit. Needs a bit more sustain overall for me to most elements but ur on a Good way.
(11-10-2020, 05:53 AM)Dr. Toboggan Wrote: Sounds like you're making some good progress from your first mix to your most recent...

Something that's catching my ears - the SFX are pretty heavily featured in this mix, and unless that's done intentionally, you'd likely open up a fair amount of room for instrument information if they were dialed back a bit. The rain track in particular is pretty prominent throughout most of the song, which is eating up a fair amount of space for highs... might help create a little room for your vocals that you're trying to find.

Also, when the two basses add to each other during the choruses, it sounds like it's swallowing up the drums a bit. It would help give the choruses more juice if we got to hear the snare cracking through more. You're on the right track though, good job.
* Thank you Doc, for the comment. I'll see what I can do with the FX. And yes, the kick+ 2 basses+ synth 4 are ganging up on me Smile. I tried to control them in the chorus but was unable to do so. I'll try again later and see. I think I can still go a few more rounds with them before I throw in the towel. Thanks for the listen!
(11-10-2020, 10:44 AM)crownoise Wrote: Hey Sonic Smile on the right track indeed but needs some polish to finish the mix. Drums are quite prominent in highend at higher volumes but feels nice when turning down the volume. Nice "modern" highend though but in context to whole master a bit un adressed, think some sort of highend clipping and eq can work. Or just eq drums a bit. Needs a bit more sustain overall for me to most elements but ur on a Good way.
* Thanks for comment, crownoise! Yeah, I know I still have more work (unmasking) to do. I don't have the ears like you guys (me=noob), so it takes a lot more time than it should. But I think I know what you're talking about tho. I am at the level where I think I know what I want but still unable to transfer to "tape" on the first few tries. I need more than that Smile. So, one more try? Thanks for taking the time to comment.