Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stephano Petrocca - Foundation (Hein-Ivan Mix)
A cool song and fun to mix. Thanks for listening!

.mp3    Stephano Petrocca - Foundation.mp3 --  (Download: 9.41 MB)

(08-10-2020, 04:04 PM)heinim Wrote: A cool song and fun to mix. Thanks for listening!
Hello! It turned out very well! But there are moments that caught my eye right away. Narrow stereo base and instruments are close in the center. I would also advise to separate them a little from each other. Another thing that immediately struck me was that all the instruments have a lot of reverberation, so the ear cannot understand which instruments are in the foreground and which are in the far. I advise you to listen to the reference more carefully. And the last thing I probably want to hear in this mix. The song is made in such a way that you want to dance to it. (Style is such) That in this style the bass and kick are very important. It seems to me that now there is no groove in the song. Kick and bass by themselves and do not carry any semantic load. Although on jazz bass fedender plays incredibly cool and I want to emphasize this. My recommendations: 1) make the bass in the mix more significant, add loudness or more compression. Here you have to listen. I don't know what kind of device is on it.
2) Add low frequencies to the kick and make it louder. Make it softer and more sweeping (Try not to add high frequencies, as it will add reverb, which is not recommended.)
3) Get rid of the reverberation on the snare drum. It starts to sound somewhere far away and only adds more turbidity to the mix.
Perhaps there are other points that you want to revise, but these are currently some of the most important that should be changed.
I hope my recommendations will help make the mix better!
(08-10-2020, 05:36 PM)JunglestateUnion Wrote:
(08-10-2020, 04:04 PM)heinim Wrote: A cool song and fun to mix. Thanks for listening!
Hello! It turned out very well! But there are moments that caught my eye right away. Narrow stereo base and instruments are close in the center. I would also advise to separate them a little from each other. Another thing that immediately struck me was that all the instruments have a lot of reverberation, so the ear cannot understand which instruments are in the foreground and which are in the far. I advise you to listen to the reference more carefully. And the last thing I probably want to hear in this mix. The song is made in such a way that you want to dance to it. (Style is such) That in this style the bass and kick are very important. It seems to me that now there is no groove in the song. Kick and bass by themselves and do not carry any semantic load. Although on jazz bass fedender plays incredibly cool and I want to emphasize this. My recommendations: 1) make the bass in the mix more significant, add loudness or more compression. Here you have to listen. I don't know what kind of device is on it.
2) Add low frequencies to the kick and make it louder. Make it softer and more sweeping (Try not to add high frequencies, as it will add reverb, which is not recommended.)
3) Get rid of the reverberation on the snare drum. It starts to sound somewhere far away and only adds more turbidity to the mix.
Perhaps there are other points that you want to revise, but these are currently some of the most important that should be changed.
I hope my recommendations will help make the mix better!
Hello JunglestateUnion! Many thanks for the comments. Interesting, I listen to your mix of the same song. We have a complete different view of what sound we want on this and that's good. That's what makes this site interesting. I'l try a new mix later on. Cheers!
It's great that you didn’t bite into the midrange like most people who have encountered this mix. After listening to your version, I realized that mine is somewhat squeezed around 4 KHz. Despite the fact that I like the track, I was already rather tired of it during the taxiing and endless search for sound options.

Your mix sounds too much in the range that I have too little. That is, you need something in between. You have built your panorama well in depth, but at the same time you have problems with its width in your mix. It would be nice to do something about it. I also agree that it would be nice to add fire in the low frequencies, especially with regard to Kick. As for the bass guitar, it has resonances, as a result of which some notes sound louder, others softer. This is clearly audible at medium and higher volume levels.

But nevertheless, with all the shortcomings, your mix listens perfectly and I do not get tired of it. In my case, a slightly clamped middle causes fatigue when listening.

My option: https://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/show...?tid=35658
Alexander
(16-10-2020, 06:14 PM)Equilibrium Wrote: It's great that you didn’t bite into the midrange like most people who have encountered this mix. After listening to your version, I realized that mine is somewhat squeezed around 4 KHz. Despite the fact that I like the track, I was already rather tired of it during the taxiing and endless search for sound options.

Your mix sounds too much in the range that I have too little. That is, you need something in between. You have built your panorama well in depth, but at the same time you have problems with its width in your mix. It would be nice to do something about it. I also agree that it would be nice to add fire in the low frequencies, especially with regard to Kick. As for the bass guitar, it has resonances, as a result of which some notes sound louder, others softer. This is clearly audible at medium and higher volume levels.

But nevertheless, with all the shortcomings, your mix listens perfectly and I do not get tired of it. In my case, a slightly clamped middle causes fatigue when listening.

My option: https://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/show...?tid=35658
Hello Equilibrium! Many thanks for the feedback. I do agree with the mids and also the bass. I did struggle a bit with this one, but I will try another mix later on. Cheers!