Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2 Average
mITc's Make You Dance - A Few Ways
Hi All,

I had mixed this previously outside of Mike's blog so I decided to have a bit of fun with this and present the mix three ways. Cyrille Aimee is an award winning jazz vocalist with a wonderful voice and sytle and the players around her are all top notch so this was a real treat to mix.

Cyrille Aimee - Make You Dance
This is a traditional mix using all the tools at my behest. EQ, compression, you name it. The reason I mention this is that the renowned recordist here is the great Al Schmidt. And one of Al's idiosyncrasies is that he does not use EQ when he mixes basing his mixes and their tonalities from the way he records the tracks. This mix was completed before I was aware of this little fact. So this mix and master have EQ all over it.

Cyrille Aimee - Make You Dance - Almost Naked
This mix is done Al's way. No EQ on any of the tracks in the mix. Only mild compression and automation exist in this mix.  The master though does have EQ applied, hence almost naked.

Cyrille Aimee - Make You Dance - Totally Naked
This mix, as you might imagine, is completely free of EQ in both the mix AND the master.  Compression and automation exist but again, no EQ whatsoever!

There you have it. Make You Dance three different ways. Tell me what you think.

Thanks so much,
mITc

.mp3    Cyrille Aimee - Make You Dance .mp3 --  (Download: 8.93 MB)

.mp3    Cyrille Aimee - Make You Dance - Almost Naked.mp3 --  (Download: 8.93 MB)

.mp3    Cyrille Aimee - Make You Dance - Totally Naked.mp3 --  (Download: 8.93 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Many thanks for all your " examples" It is very informative ! Was it Al Schmidt who said: The Mix starts at the Mic ?? or do I get "mixed " up here?

anyways Thanks again

Bob
(10-10-2020, 05:30 AM)Bobs Audio Wrote: Many thanks for all your " examples"  It is very informative !    Was it Al Schmidt who said: The Mix starts at the Mic  ??    or do I get "mixed " up here?

anyways Thanks again

Bob
Hey Bob. If Al's approach is to print the mix at recording time and just blend post without EQ, then I would imagine the choice of microphone becomes a critical aspect to the sonic character of the print. I think we all do that as in who would us an SM57 on overheads, right? To the degree Al does this is greatly enhanced by the selection of mics he has at his disposal.  Oh to have a chance at that collection.  Ummm, mm.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(03-10-2020, 01:39 AM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Hi All,

I had mixed this previously outside of Mike's blog so I decided to have a bit of fun with this and present the mix three ways. Cyrille Aimee is an award winning jazz vocalist with a wonderful voice and sytle and the players around her are all top notch so this was a real treat to mix.

Cyrille Aimee - Make You Dance
This is a traditional mix using all the tools at my behest. EQ, compression, you name it. The reason I mention this is that the renowned recordist here is the great Al Schmidt. And one of Al's idiosyncrasies is that he does not use EQ when he mixes basing his mixes and their tonalities from the way he records the tracks. This mix was completed before I was aware of this little fact. So this mix and master have EQ all over it.

Cyrille Aimee - Make You Dance - Almost Naked
This mix is done Al's way. No EQ on any of the tracks in the mix. Only mild compression and automation exist in this mix.  The master though does have EQ applied, hence almost naked.

Cyrille Aimee - Make You Dance - Totally Naked
This mix, as you might imagine, is completely free of EQ in both the mix AND the master.  Compression and automation exist but again, no EQ whatsoever!

There you have it. Make You Dance three different ways. Tell me what you think.

Thanks so much,
mITc
---------------------------------------------------------------
Why is almost everything over at puremix now?
(22-10-2020, 03:50 AM)NewtonThomas Wrote: ---------------------------------------------------------------
Why is almost everything over at puremix now?
I think you'd have to ask Mike about that.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]