Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whisper to a scream - Voelund
This is something I am very unsure of - I realise the vox is way to loud and so is the solo, but its the drums and overall eq Im after. Am I totally off here ? Help appreciated Big Grin

OBS: New version post 10 and newest post 12 with more arrangement changes

.mp3    Whisper to a scream 01 lim.mp3 --  (Download: 9.49 MB)

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Good job with cleaning up the low frequencies of the guitars and bass
The vocal (could be the lower octave vocal ?) sounds like it has a touch to much low frequency on the reverb but this is a personal choice !
Snare sounds great maybe a touch more top end ,but in saying that Im still trying to get my snare to fit better Big Grin !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Thank you Don ! I take it since your reply doesnt say the opposite that to your ears eq is ok and drum n bas works. Great - I really didnt know what I were doin.
I´ll look into delay and verb eq, and work on little automation to give it a bit more dynamic.
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
FWIW its mixed at very low volume as rest o the house were sleepin. So its possible to mix loud music at low volume Big Grin
Sounds good to me. I like the smoothness and roundness of your sound. (I haven't checked the material yet, so I don't know the specific challenges of this song.)

(05-01-2014, 12:44 PM)Voelund Wrote: FWIW its mixed at very low volume as rest o the house were sleepin. So its possible to mix loud music at low volume Big Grin

I think that at lower levels it's easier to find balance between instruments.

But it would be a good idea to check the mix at high level (with headphones if you want to have peace in your house). In this case potential audience will be listening it quite loud, I suppose. Then for example the vocals may start to sound annoying loud, although in lower levels they are just fine the way they are now in your mix.

Hi!

In my opinion you got a nice balance between instruments, sometime I feel a lot of reverb on vox (when I use them I put send at 0dB and return fader at -10dB, Bob Owinsky theory: http://bobbyowsinski.blogspot.ch/2012/09...track.html ).
Anything else I like it, good job!

All best

Jacques
I think it sounds very good, as you say, you can lower the vocals and guitar solo a bit.
(04-01-2014, 09:44 PM)Voelund Wrote: This is something I am very unsure of - I realise the vox is way to loud and so is the solo, but its the drums and overall eq Im after. Am I totally off here ? Help appreciated Big Grin

Wow. You got the guitars sounding awesome! Honestly, you did better with the guitar sound than I did. They sound OK in my mix but a little stodgy and constrained; you just opened 'em right up! What did you do to them? Smile

Yes, the vox is too loud, but the solo not so much. It needs to come down a bit, yes, but I like this up-front sound to it. I hope you kept it "out there" in subsequent mixes (I'll find out in a minute Wink). I was also surprised at your choice of such a pronounced reverb on the lead guitar. It works very well, though. Cool
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
(05-01-2014, 12:44 PM)Voelund Wrote: FWIW its mixed at very low volume as rest o the house were sleepin. So its possible to mix loud music at low volume Big Grin

It is. I live in an apartment building and I often find myself working on mixes late at night. I've disturbed the neighbours on a small handful of occasions but, with time and experience, I have a pretty good idea now how high I can go without bothering anyone. But it's still pretty low when I'm mixing late. Sleepy

Generally, I alternate between using my headphones and my speakers when I mix; that way I can balance for BOTH ways of listening plus at least in the headphones I can crank it up and rock it out without getting an eviction notice... Big Grin
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
Been workin on this when time alowed last days.
I multed the guitars everely and made another rhythm part for verses to make some more interest in arrangement. Also muted guitars first part of verse 3 to make even more contrast after loud solo, gives nice space to lat solo bits and Johnnys scream Big Grin
Added a synth part for itro, outro and middle part. Also doubled the bv with opera kind synth voices, mixe in under but it really makes a diffrence.
lastly i played an organ part and as Im writin this i realise i didnt change it in verses, so i hope it doesnt stick out as I changed chords a bit Confused

Im sorry i havent answered posts, I have had many things goin on and in my sparetime I have felt more like mixin than writin...
Thx for all the replies and suggestions, great post about reverb, thx for sharing.
For the guitars in first version they were subtractively eq´d in diffrent narrow places, one guitar say 290 and 780 other 360 and 1030, so they doesnt sound the same.
Also they touched an 1176 lightly and some masterbus voodo overdrive and eq.
Last version i made 2 double mult tracks, one to strngthen certain parts, other to copy the one note 16th notes to last part o solo and outro.

Also made verses have more dynamic as 1st part guitar verse goes on mult 1 track, long chords bacl on slightly higher original guitar tracks, sounds great to me and the long chords really shine that way.

Also mixed at extremely low volume and I blame that for not noticin the organ part I didnt change. Not my age and memory Big Grin

I may change uploaded file after havin a listen on headphones. Hope you like it though, with arrangement changes and all. Man that boy can sing ..

.mp3    Whisper to a scream 04 lim.mp3 --  (Download: 9.5 MB)