Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jonny Lokke - Whisper To A Scream
Hi!

Hope you all have a good new year evening and happy mixing Wink

Here my mix of this killing song, let me know what's good and what's bad Smile

All best

Jacques

.mp3    JonnyLokke-WhisperToScreamR1.mp3 --  (Download: 9.86 MB)

(04-01-2014, 04:28 PM)Jacques Wrote: Here my mix of this killing song, let me know what's good and what's bad Smile

You've got the skeleton of a good mix here. Nice balance on the vocals, struggling to be heard against the guitars but understandable, exactly the way hard rock vocals should sound IMHO. Wink

Guitars, however, feel a wee bit squashed, like somebody grabbed their sound between their hands and squeezed it together. Sounds like too much compression to me. Remember that overdriven electric guitar tends to be self-compressing; there is rarely, if ever, a reason to apply compression to overdriven guitar.

I will concede, however, that the compression does impart an interesting effect on the lead guitar at 2:50. That sounded pretty cool. Cool

Guitars felt a little constrained; they didn't have the stereo width that they really needed. However, as I struggled with this myself I can understand how difficult it is to "widen" these guitars. I suggest you ask Voelund for advice here; he did something AMAZING with these guitars in this song (you should check out his mix Wink).

Vocals seemed a little dry at first but I realized as the song went on that the sound suited the mix. Backing vocals, however, are WAY understated; I feel they should come forward a good 3-5 dB.

Drums sound awesome! Kick's just a LITTLE too much; might pull that down a dB or two. Otherwise great!

When I mixed this, I was aiming for a classic 80's hard rock sound. You seem to be going for a more modern sound. Not the choice I would have made for this song but, taken on its own merits, your overall approach works pretty well. Smile
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
(07-01-2014, 02:40 AM)Pedaling Prince Wrote:
(04-01-2014, 04:28 PM)Jacques Wrote: Here my mix of this killing song, let me know what's good and what's bad Smile

You've got the skeleton of a good mix here. Nice balance on the vocals, struggling to be heard against the guitars but understandable, exactly the way hard rock vocals should sound IMHO. Wink

Guitars, however, feel a wee bit squashed, like somebody grabbed their sound between their hands and squeezed it together. Sounds like too much compression to me. Remember that overdriven electric guitar tends to be self-compressing; there is rarely, if ever, a reason to apply compression to overdriven guitar.

Hi! Thanks for your comments, it really help Wink

Yes, I went for more a modern mix rather then a old school (we are in 2014 so why look back?, not that I'm not a fan of classic mix but I want to sound quite modern in this days Wink )

About GTR I didn't put any compression I just re-amp them, I was putting also a stereo widener but I felt that I was changing the phase correlation so I decided to don't do it Wink

I'm going to reduce or increase were you point your finger because I feel what you are saying Wink

Thanks again for your deeps advices!!!

All best

Jacques
(07-01-2014, 10:56 AM)Jacques Wrote: Yes, I went for more a modern mix rather then a old school (we are in 2014 so why look back?, not that I'm not a fan of classic mix but I want to sound quite modern in this days Wink )

That's understandable. It's just that this particular song, to me, just SCREAMS 80's heavy rock in its style; to my ears, it just doesn't sound right done in a modern way. But that, I must admit, is totally personal taste; your approach is a perfectly valid interpretation of the song, too. Smile

Although I also must point out that one of the best reasons to "go back" is to learn what made some of those older recordings sound so much more dynamic and clear than many modern ones. There's nothing wrong with going for a more contemporary sound but I personally believe that even a contemporary sound can be achieved with much gentler processing than is often used in today's mixes.

(07-01-2014, 10:56 AM)Jacques Wrote: About GTR I didn't put any compression I just re-amp them, I was putting also a stereo widener but I felt that I was changing the phase correlation so I decided to don't do it Wink

How did you realize that? By just listening? Or did you actually do a phase correlation analysis in your DAW?

(07-01-2014, 10:56 AM)Jacques Wrote: I'm going to reduce or increase were you point your finger because I feel what you are saying Wink

I look forward to hearing the results! Cool

(07-01-2014, 10:56 AM)Jacques Wrote: Thanks again for your deeps advices!!!

No problem; I'll keep 'em coming. In the like vein, please feel free to comment on any work you see by me as well. Wink
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
[quote='Pedaling Prince' pid='13963' dateline='1389144238']
[quote='Jacques' pid='13941' dateline='1389088604']
I complitly agree with you about learning from the past, as you say then is just a matter of taste Smile

How did you realize that? By just listening? Or did you actually do a phase correlation analysis in your DAW?

Just by listening in mono I realized that probably I'll have some phase issue (I remember reading some CLA notes about those plug in and I'm always a little bit afraid to use it).

Thanks again and I will looking for yours mixes for sure Wink

All best

Jacques

Hi Jaques
Nice sounding mix I like it
On my monitors the guitars sound a touch bright in the 4k range Big Grin!

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(08-01-2014, 08:03 AM)Jacques Wrote: [quote='Pedaling Prince' pid='13963' dateline='1389144238']How did you (spot the phase correlation issue)? By just listening? Or did you actually do a phase correlation analysis in your DAW?

Just by listening in mono I realized that probably I'll have some phase issue (I remember reading some CLA notes about those plug in and I'm always a little bit afraid to use it).

What's to be afraid of? If you don't like the result you can always undo it... Wink
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
(08-01-2014, 08:26 AM)thedon Wrote: Hi Jaques
Nice sounding mix I like it
On my monitors the guitars sound a touch bright in the 4k range Big Grin!

Hi Don!
Thanks, you probably right, I think I pushed that freq (maybe too much)... soon I gonna check out and put a new mix with correction Wink
Tanks again for your advices Smile

All best
(08-01-2014, 12:18 PM)Pedaling Prince Wrote:
(08-01-2014, 08:03 AM)Jacques Wrote: [quote='Pedaling Prince' pid='13963' dateline='1389144238']How did you (spot the phase correlation issue)? By just listening? Or did you actually do a phase correlation analysis in your DAW?

What's to be afraid of? If you don't like the result you can always undo it... Wink

I'm not afraid, I'm aware that it could be a problem...lol Wink