Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Stitch Up
i think you should start all over again with drum first. maybe balance all the gain staging on drum and give them a gentle compression. before compress make sure all tracks are carefully eq. listen to my mix if you dont get me. Big Grin

(14-01-2014, 02:54 PM)highlifeKL Wrote: i think you should start all over again with drum first. maybe balance all the gain staging on drum and give them a gentle compression. before compress make sure all tracks are carefully eq. listen to my mix if you dont get me. Big Grin

Hi highlifeKL, thanks for your comments.

I've always felt uncertain about the sound of my snare in this track - i tend towards a darker sound as a preference, which in this case came from the blend of top and bottom mics.

I'm actually pretty happy with the compression and EQ of each of these individual mics but perhaps less happy with the overall drum gain balancing as you pointed out.

I think my snare blend had too much top and not enough bottom mic - partly caused by ineffective gain stage balancing for the drums.

As a quick investigation, I increased the blend of bottom mic by 2db and the overall snare sound became much more snappy.

I'll probably do one final mix with re-balanced snare plus small tweeks to the drum gain balance in the future