Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zeno - Signs
Hi,
My mix.
Cheers!

Update 1.0 - Lowered volume of Shaker,  and some Shaker and HiHat part mutes.

.mp3    Zeno - Signs.mp3 --  (Download: 8.65 MB)

.mp3    Zeno - Signs 1.0.mp3 --  (Download: 8.65 MB)

Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Great, now I want to mix this one again. I've always liked but never nailed it.

I think overall it could be a little...more grand and over the top. It feels a bit small. At least, in the verses. I know that main guitar naturally has a kind of boxy tone. I like the vocal effects.
The main thing that bothers me is the shaker. It's omnipresent and insistent. It could come down in the mix. Maybe even be muted in some sections
Hi,

Thanks for checking it out.

Was going for a more kind of - synth pop type sound I suppose.  Doesn't sound that small to me here.  *I played it after 'VNV Nation - When is the Future' and it felt ok I think? If it's just the verses then that means the chorus is sounding bigger? Which is what I wanted.  I do agree with you about the shaker though - I missed a trick there.  I might just go through now and mute it in a few sections.  I think I've played it too much so it doesn't really register much any more...

Cheers!

(*Edit: Forgot to add track name)
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Hi!

Added mix 1.0 - muted shaker and hihat parts in a few sections as suggested by Roy. Many thanks. Muting those parts is exactly what it was missing I think Smile. Thanks!!

Cheers!
Sorry, I'm not getting notifications when some threads are updated. V1.0 feels better with the shaker back.
Hmmm. Maybe small isn't the right term. I need a thesaurus but I'm lazy.

I like the synth sound. I din't notice before. The last guitar hit is a bit loud. I suspect that was intentional but it feels a bit too much there in relation.
I tried mixing this one again. I keep forgetting that the last two guitar tracks are the same.
Thanks for checking back again. I find the odd notification occasionally goes to my junk folder for some reason.

I did spot those two guitar parts. I just eq'd one of them slightly different and panned them to attempt to get a bit of width. I think I re-amped all the supplied DI's.

Yeah, maybe I could turn the last guitar hit down a touch... It was more a last ditch attempt at constructing at least some sort of ending to the song as I was completely out of ideas.

I think that's one of the challenges with this track - it requires a bit of creative effort with regards to effects and arrangement. There's quite a bit going on in Mike's mix. The preview mix is also quite a bit more mid forward than mine... Oddly I didn't go for that sound this time, heh. Maybe that's why my effort seems a bit 'small' or whatever.

I'll maybe tweak that guitar later...

Did you post an updated mix, or no? I had a quick look for it.

Cheers!
I checked the junk folder, nada. Oh well.

Yeah, the ending is a bit weird on this one. I think on my previous versions I just cut everything except for the note of the vocal. I can't recall but it worked. Or does in my head if I didn't do that in the older version.

To be honest I don't know if I've ever listened to the preview track. At least not since the first time I've heard it. I could go back and reference it.
I agree it does seem to need more effort. I don't know if need is the right word. It's more of a basic palette that could be improved upon.

I haven't updated a new version yet. Partially I've had other stuff to deal with and partially because I'm over thinking it. I feel like it might be one of those "Ok it's close but far, so faders down and start over" kind of mixes. Or "Oicbfsfdaso" for short.