Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Killa-L - Window - BJS Mix
Here is my mix of this song. I ended up just taking out the cymbal crashes as I thought they were distracting. Let me know if you think that was a good idea.

.mp3    KillaL - Window - BJS Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 8.33 MB)

taking out the cymbals automatically would've got you fired as the mixer for this song. welcome to the industry.
the mix is recessed and thus everything seems buried and just cloudy. you need to add the excitement that the cymbals brought. the hook is nice sounding but you need to make it even more eventful
(25-09-2020, 11:46 PM)illsoulprod Wrote: taking out the cymbals automatically would've got you fired as the mixer for this song. welcome to the industry.
the mix is recessed and thus everything seems buried and just cloudy. you need to add the excitement that the cymbals brought. the hook is nice sounding but you need to make it even more eventful
It's not a paid mix so he's not going to get fired for anything. And mixers make edits to arrangements all the time. I know I did. Under those circumstances the situation would usually be different and the artist would be at the session and you can let them know as did BJS in this instance.
Hey guys I agree with Both of You !
I am responsible for producing and sharing These Multi tracks and rough preview Mix !
I usually do live recording and mixing.
I purchased FL Studio For My Son to make beats and came up with this in about an hour with free plugins Except for the Stings which was played on my Korg Kronos 2.
Usually the Mixer and artist/producer would listen to the Mix and decide what works and What needs Fixing.
I guess it depends on the skill level of the Producer , A pro may not like your decision and an amateur may think it needs more work. 
There are some timing Issues with the Synth which may sound like the cymbals are out of Time so I can understand Why Barton Made the Decision to mention he removed them and Share the track to the Producer for feedback.
I agree with illsoulprod a little more eq with finding Space  ,maybe the bass needs to come down a touch.

Illsoulprod
I have heard your Mixes on your Website and a couple of Awesome sounding Multitracks from this Site and they are impressive.
I Think you should share one of your pro mixes which would deffinitely inspire other mxers you are helping with your valuable feedback to take notice and improve their mixing skills.

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Thank you all for the feedback. For an idea of where I'm at...
I've been a musician for decades but only got into learning how to mix this year. Rock is my background and the genre I feel most comfortable with....which is why I have been working with songs like this. 

That said...if I were getting paid to mix a song, I wouldn't change it up or take things out without the artist's knowledge or permission.

IllSoulProd stated: "the mix is recessed and thus everything seems buried and just cloudy"...and TheDon stated: "I agree with illsoulprod a little more eq with finding Space ,maybe the bass needs to come down a touch." Thank you for the feedback. I appreciate critiques so I can get other perspectives and therefore improve.