Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Louis Cressy Band - Good time
Thank you for listening
Added a little dirt on the Hammond and the vocals. A very slight harmony on the vocal and a couple edits on bass.
Other than that is eq, compressors, delays and reverbs...
Very light limiting on master bus to avoid clips without killing the overall dynamic.
New to this site, love the quality of almost all the music I've listen.
I appreciate any feedback.
Mixed in Pro tools 11.3 - RME babyface- power amp -NS10

.mp3    LouisCressyBand_GoodTime.mp3 --  (Download: 11.2 MB)

sounds good. a little wet on the guitars and keys.
Aresfinsounds , Thank you for the comment. I'll try to listen on another medium besides the NS10 I know thy can lie to you sometimes. Tongue
I'll agree with Aresfin about the guitars (maybe not the Hammond) and add that I feel the mix could have a bit more weight and bite overall. Meaning that it's all sounding natural, which is very good, but could be more exciting.

The overheads could feel more glued into the whole kit, they're floating above it sonically. Maybe it's just volume?

A clean up in the 550 Hz area in the drum bus would help make it more focused (especially the snare drum).

A little scoop in the 800 Hz and around 3.15 kHz (maybe also 4.5 kHz) in the guitars would make 'em more pleasing, cleaning the honk and the nasty high mids (that can be compensated with higher frequencies).

The 5.6 kHz range in the voice is popping up, maybe a de-esser or a dynamic eq could handle it.

Tried to be specific, hope it helps out and that I'm not coming across as a drag. Good mixing, Nanoweb!
"it's all sounding natural, which is very good, but could be more exciting."
I agree with that statement, I'm working on that aspect of my mixing process. I'm mainly a live sound mixer, not working due to C19, it was not easy to find "the exciting" part on sample drums.
I invite you to listen to my mix on "tip toe through the Crypto" by Turkuaz and let me know if I'm understanding the concept of "more exciting". May be I'm not on the right way to get to the exciting part.
My regular job is on a heavy regulated industry (big pharma) therefore not much of exciting or feelings involved there.
Thanks for the pointers, I'll try them and listen the diference.
Totally understand you, Nanoweb, I'm a live engineer as well (for twenty plus years now, almost as long working in studios). It's a different craft but doing both is very complementary.

I'll comment the other mix on its own thread, right?

Oh, big pharma! Bring the vaccines already! <3