Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
English Actor
Not too sure about this one, Any feedback would be appreciated.

.mp3    English Actor mix 2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.73 MB)

Feels fine. The legato synths could be louder in the verse. The chorus maybe a little too..dynamic, and I'm one who likes big choruses. I think there's a lot happening in the same frequency range between the vocals and guitars and snare. Maybe the overall volume could work if the energy was spread out more as opposed to being focused in the midrange. The floor tom is a little loud, at least on headphones.

Over it feels pretty good. I don't mind the loud chorus and would rather it be over the top than too shy but maybe it can be tweaked a little. I think that's it. Good job.
(16-09-2020, 11:01 PM)RoyM Wrote: Feels fine. The legato synths could be louder in the verse. The chorus maybe a little too..dynamic, and I'm one who likes big choruses. I think there's a lot happening in the same frequency range between the vocals and guitars and snare. Maybe the overall volume could work if the energy was spread out more as opposed to being focused in the midrange. The floor tom is a little loud, at least on headphones.

Over it feels pretty good. I don't mind the loud chorus and would rather it be over the top than too shy but maybe it can be tweaked a little. I think that's it. Good job.
Hi Roy the dynamics comes from the fact that there is little to no buss compression going on (maybe mastering could squeeze it a bit more) , I wanted the floor tom to be really over the top cause i was referring to one of the wombats records from the glitterbug album. I agree that the tone of everything is very "midrangey" i didnt want to change the production too much.

Thanks for the amazing feedback

Cheers!
I don't usually post about other mixes but I wanted to share a thought or two. When I download a project especially from a mix site like this one (Great site by the way) I think it is important not to listen to any other mixes of the tune prior to starting. If you prefer to listen to the final mix of the fully produced tune once or twice to get some direction thats fine.  You have to see your vision of the song first then tweak it by referencing multiple systems and other quality mixes by engineers you trust especially on multiple sound systems or multiple speakers and phones.  I personally don't listen to any mixes of the tune prior. This challenges me to mix how I feel it should be. Then I listen to the final mix master that the band went with to see how close I got to their vision of the song. Ok your mix, I think you captured your vision in your mix and overall sounds good. You could spend a thousand hours on a tune and still find things to tweak. With that being said, Your current mix is translating to my system pretty well so good job there. I agree that there may be a few things to tweak for better sonic quality and I am more than happy to elaborate if you would like but I prefer to keep it simple if possible.  I do not feel the toms were to over the top. I love louder drums in mixes and I think the bands intention for the chorus was supposed to be an over the top feel so I think you captured that. Is it perfection? no. Is it the worst mix? No it needs a little work sonically but overall a good job. I also wanted to mention that you have inspired me to mix this tune, not an easy task...so thank you for that. I want to note that I certainly don't think my mixing is better or worse than anyone else's vision of the mix. When I mix I mix for me unless a client is involved. This site is a great tool for inspiring your mix style and how you hear the tune. I would stick with that and over time your mixing will become better and better. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.
Jim Servedio
SE Sound Studio
I appreciate your comments jim many thanks!

I do try to mix music in the way i would like to hear it in a live setting. Especially this kind of track i think it needs that live feel and something ive learnt over the years is that you'll never be able to please everyone when it comes to mixing music so i usually go in the direction that i myself thinks sounds best, if there is a client involved its a different case. The mixes from this site i usually would take 2 hours or so of my free time to mix, I feel like its good practice and it gives me opportunities to explore some wild "tricks" which i usually cant do if im under the gun.

Have a great day/night further.
nvm    .