Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perpetual Escape - Sin Six
Quote:I just did the opposite, I always have mine on and I must have hit the footswitch at some point and accidentally turned it off. I was trying to mix a song for an EDM artist and I thought good god his tracks lack low end. I had so much bottom added then realized the sub was off, I clicked it back on and WOW.
Ouch!  Hopefully you've survived the experience with everything somewhat intact!

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(16-09-2020, 12:02 AM)mikej Wrote:
Quote:That was one of the things I learned when looking into how all those initial Waves signature series of plug-ins worked and broke them down. Especially the CLA or JJP vocal ones. There's a lot of parallel compression and eq going on in those.. These days most of the time I send lead vocal to 4 or 5 parallel busses with different compression and eqs or distortion and blend them together. Throwing one out phase can create something interesting too.
Not sure if you have seen them already but there are some somewhat official diagrams floating about for the CLA ones that show roughly how they are set up, they certainly show the thinking behind them anyway.

Yeah, I think they are quite useful from a learning point of view. 
I find I mainly only use a small number of quite basic plugins these days (and I think my mixes are getting a bit better).  But I do use plenty of ideas and things (eq curves and compression ideas, etc) from all the various plugins I *thought* I needed, so not a total waste of money... haha.  Well I feel I have got value from them from an educational point of view.  It's funny - finding out what doesn't work for you is as equally useful as finding out what does I think.
I am pretty sure I wouldn't really understand what people are 'getting' from LA2A and 1176 compression unless I had the plugin emulations, for example.  I've never used any outboard gear.
I have certainly taken some inspiration from some of the eq curves, but I didn't really pick up on the parallel eq aspect before. I haven't tried the JJP ones but I did pick up the CLA pack a couple of years ago.  I quite like the cla bass one on occasion.
Anyway, bit of a ramble, but might be useful to someone I guess.
Cheers!
I've often wondered what people that have never used the hardware version of the emulated plugins thought. I grew up behind a custom console loaded with api 550A's (it also had necam 1 automation, having anxiety thinking about it https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachments/so-much-gear-so-little-time/507762d1445965018-history-fader-automation-necam.jpg). 

For example, I got into an online discussion with a guy about the api 550A and that I would have loved for them to make a sweepable boost cut on the waves version. There wasn't one day that went by where you wanted 3DB of boost or cut, 2 wasn't enough and 4 was to much. He got all hot and bothered that it wouldn't be a true model if it did that, I found out after further discussion that he had never even seen one in real life let alone used one.  He wasn't even ok if there was a button that said true model and hybrid so you could boost 3 if you so chose. 

Do you guys tend to buy models of classic hardware or you can take it or leave it. I sold my api lunch box and 1073's years ago and I am actually really happy with the couple of plugins I have that emulate them.
--------
Opinions are like Farts, everyone else's stinks
(16-09-2020, 12:50 AM)DctrRoss Wrote:
(16-09-2020, 12:02 AM)mikej Wrote:
Quote:That was one of the things I learned when looking into how all those initial Waves signature series of plug-ins worked and broke them down. Especially the CLA or JJP vocal ones. There's a lot of parallel compression and eq going on in those.. These days most of the time I send lead vocal to 4 or 5 parallel busses with different compression and eqs or distortion and blend them together. Throwing one out phase can create something interesting too.
Not sure if you have seen them already but there are some somewhat official diagrams floating about for the CLA ones that show roughly how they are set up, they certainly show the thinking behind them anyway.

Yeah, I think they are quite useful from a learning point of view. 
I find I mainly only use a small number of quite basic plugins these days (and I think my mixes are getting a bit better).  But I do use plenty of ideas and things (eq curves and compression ideas, etc) from all the various plugins I *thought* I needed, so not a total waste of money... haha.  Well I feel I have got value from them from an educational point of view.  It's funny - finding out what doesn't work for you is as equally useful as finding out what does I think.
I am pretty sure I wouldn't really understand what people are 'getting' from LA2A and 1176 compression unless I had the plugin emulations, for example.  I've never used any outboard gear.
I have certainly taken some inspiration from some of the eq curves, but I didn't really pick up on the parallel eq aspect before. I haven't tried the JJP ones but I did pick up the CLA pack a couple of years ago.  I quite like the cla bass one on occasion.
Anyway, bit of a ramble, but might be useful to someone I guess.
Cheers!
I've often wondered what people that have never used the hardware version of the emulated plugins thought. I grew up behind a custom console loaded with api 550A's (it also had necam 1 automation, having anxiety thinking about it https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachments/so-much-gear-so-little-time/507762d1445965018-history-fader-automation-necam.jpg). 

For example, I got into an online discussion with a guy about the api 550A and that I would have loved for them to make a sweepable boost cut on the waves version. There wasn't one day that went by where you wanted 3DB of boost or cut, 2 wasn't enough and 4 was to much. He got all hot and bothered that it wouldn't be a true model if it did that, I found out after further discussion that he had never even seen one in real life let alone used one.  He wasn't even ok if there was a button that said true model and hybrid so you could boost 3 if you so chose. 

Do you guys tend to buy models of classic hardware or you can take it or leave it. I sold my api lunch box and 1073's years ago and I am actually really happy with the couple of plugins I have that emulate them.

Oh, someone had automation. We just had grease pencil marks and hope.

I get what you're saying about the emulations and yeah a button to switch between true and hybrid would be cool but I kinda like the limitations.

Interestingly, using plug in emulations have gotten me more interested in the hardware and what people who use them expect. I've had and used outboard, certainly, but not to the extent I do now in the box. It's interesting to examine and figure out what's happening underneath.

I'm not sure if this is making sense. I'm tired.
Hi!

Ok, for this mix:

For eq I mostly used Reaper's ReaEq.  I have a few basic starting point presets set up.  Some are starting points and variations that I like for different instruments.  Some are set up for, eg SSL style eq - similar q settings etc based on the waves channel which I have.  I do prefer to use a pultec style eq emulation on the master bus though for some reason, rather than curves programmed in to ReaEq.

Basically for any given track I kind of know, or have a good idea, of the kind of ballpark where I want to get the sound to before I start, and go from there.

For compression - I tend to mostly use SSL bus comp emulation, 1176 emulation and an LA3A emulation.  The way my brain works I can get to where I (think) I want to be with a flexible eq with a few presets I programmed in, and a couple of different styles of compressor models. 

I did open up a mix I did not so long ago, and was surprised to find I used Reapers stock plugins for everything, including compression and mixbus compression.  The only non stock plugin I used was a limiter I think. BUT I was thinking - I need SSL style compression here, and 1176 style compression there, etc.

edit: It was the first go at this mix: https://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/show...?tid=33828.  The others I did recently with a slightly different approach I suppose.  Not quite happy with that one yet.

I have a few Waves bundles, etc  but don't really use them for mixing much at all.  Really useful to find what I like about each 'unit' and what I don't, etc.  eg the SSL channel strip is amazing, great eq layout - lows, mids, highs, etc, and the comp. But good luck boosting just the fundamental of a kick drum with it, etc. 

I think you can kind of get a bit lost and into a bit of a mess with all the variables on a digital eq and compressor, without any idea of where you need to get to.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
RoyM, I really hate you for calling Necam 1 automation. I still have PTSD from that POS.
--------
Opinions are like Farts, everyone else's stinks
(16-09-2020, 04:58 AM)DctrRoss Wrote: RoyM, I really hate you for calling Necam 1 automation.  I still have PTSD from that POS.

To be fair, you did first.
Smile

...So, I have added mix 1.0 to the original post.  Many thanks for the suggestions.

Cheers!
Yeah, 1.0 feels good. I didn't A/B it but it feels like an improvement.
Thanks!

(I didn't A/B it either!)

Cheers!