Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Angelo Boltini - This Town... First try
Hi, this is my first attempt on mixing this song from Angelo Boltini.

Such an interesting one, with good energy but a lot of things to work on in terms of sound to have a good result. Nice song if you want to try new things and experiment.

Pretty happy of my result, except that I feel like the snare is sometime too much dull (don't know if it's the right word sorry i'm french Blush  ), around 150Hz, and 
sometimes the opposite... Maybe something is masking it but I don't know what. Or is this phase issues ?  Huh 

Hope you'll enjoy and I'll be glad to discuss with you if you have any advice to improve my mix  Wink

.mp3    Angelo Boltini - This Town.mp3 --  (Download: 5.18 MB)

It sounds real good over all.

Minor changes:
The chorus bass is kinda boxy and dominating.
I'm missing the toms in the end part, just need a tiny bit more.
The kick and snare could hit a bit harder throughout.

It feels good though.
--------
Opinions are like Farts, everyone else's stinks
Tres bon!
The ghosting of the vocal in the intro is a very good idea as well are the pre/reverse delays into vocal phrases. Very nicely balanced with interesting highlights throughout.
A very good listen.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(14-09-2020, 11:12 PM)DctrRoss Wrote: It sounds real good over all.

Minor changes:
The chorus bass is kinda boxy and dominating.
I'm missing the toms in the end part, just need a tiny bit more.
The kick and snare could hit a bit harder throughout.

It feels good though.
Thanks for these ideas !

Here's the new version :

.mp3    Angelo Boltini - This Town v2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.59 MB)

(28-09-2020, 04:45 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Tres bon!
The ghosting of the vocal in the intro is a very good idea as well are the pre/reverse delays into vocal phrases. Very nicely balanced with interesting highlights throughout.
A very good listen.
Merci beaucoup ! Wink
Yes this is a nice take mattpmhm.  Although I agree with DctrRoss about the chorus bass, I do prefer V1 over V2.  There is a nice weight that transfers to my small speakers that's missing in V2.  Well Done.
V2 is spot on. Inventive and nuanced and beautifully balanced. Very well done.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
I guess I’ll be the devils advocate and not intentionally to be a contrarian.

I really am not into the whispering vocals at the top. I think it’s more of a level issue as opposed to just the whispering. I think they feel a bit too quiet. I think the ‘ghostly’ idea of the intro vocals can be cool I still think they have to catch the listener more as opposed to being subliminal. The wispy quality is enough to make the point. The lower volume just distracts from them and if anything diminishes the intent.

I really like the ‘solid’ rhythm section. I think the bass line might be too loud when it comes in at the (2nd?) chorus. I don’t remember what tracks are what on this one so it might not be the bass line. It’s bit tubby though.

Overall I feel like the the lead vocal is a little nasal and mid rangy. The rest of the track is very strong and aggressive and the vocal doesn’t really match it. As much as he says he’s “gotta get out” I don’t believe him. The group vocal are also very much in the same range so I lose the choir feel and it doesn’t feel as big as I’d want as a listener.

I like the delay effects. Especially the pre-delays. Very NIN.

By the last chorus everything kind of hits in the same upper mid range area. I dunno. I think there could be more more expansion if things had more of their own frequency real estate to grow.

Overall I like a lot of the ideas. It feels very…’tense’ to me and not in a thematic way.

I could be wrong, mind you.
E: Also: Better than my mix.
(29-09-2020, 05:06 PM)RoyM Wrote: I guess I’ll be the devils advocate and not intentionally to be a contrarian.

I really am not into the whispering vocals at the top. I think it’s more of a level issue as opposed to just the whispering. I think they feel a bit too quiet. I think the ‘ghostly’ idea of the intro vocals can be cool I still think they have to catch the listener more as opposed to being subliminal. The wispy quality is enough to make the point. The lower volume just distracts from them and if anything diminishes the intent.

I really like the ‘solid’ rhythm section. I think the bass line might be too loud when it comes in at the (2nd?) chorus. I don’t remember what tracks are what on this one so it might not be the bass line. It’s bit tubby though.

Overall I feel like the the lead vocal is a little nasal and mid rangy. The rest of the track is very strong and aggressive and the vocal doesn’t really match it. As much as he says he’s “gotta get out” I don’t believe him. The group vocal are also very much in the same range so I lose the choir feel and it doesn’t feel as big as I’d want as a listener.

I like the delay effects. Especially the pre-delays. Very NIN.

By the last chorus everything kind of hits in the same upper mid range area. I dunno. I think there could be more more expansion if things had more of their own frequency real estate to grow.

Overall I like a lot of the ideas. It feels very…’tense’ to me and not in a thematic way.

I could be wrong, mind you.
E: Also: Better than my mix.

Very interesting point of view ! Thanks a lot for this long and complete comment. There are some choices that I assume (like the whispering "ASMR" vocals could be kind irritating XD), but there are things I didn't heard or that I didn't pay attention to. And finally the more differents the commentaries are, the more enriching they are.
So I'll maybe post a third version by taking into account of your propositions !!
I have to take umbrage with Roy's critique. Roy is usually very astute with his comments and insights but I think he has missed the intent of your mix here. I feel it is very creative and texturally and tonally very complete and engaging. If I had one negative thing to say on your second mix it would be the level of the lead vocal as the intensity of the arrangement increases toward the end of the song. I might have automated the vocal level up to match the increased intensities at the end of the piece.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]