Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One Flip Flop
Kinda fun.
9/12/2020 8:45am  (first pass - no automation)
Cool

DctrRoss mentioned he was getting a lot in his sub woofer off of my mix.
I need to get a subwoof here so that if that stuff's in there, I'll be hearing (feeling) it ;-).

I went IFR (instruments) and do see some crazy lows in the bass tracks which I am cleaning out for this 1a mix.
Also, made sure the kick tracks had sharp roll-offs down in hyper-sub-thunderville.

9/13/2020 Noon "1a" mix

.mp3    TheMaybeNextYears_OneFlipFlop.mp3 --  (Download: 5.98 MB)

.mp3    TheMaybeNextYears_OneFlipFlop_1.mp3 --  (Download: 5.98 MB)

.mp3    TheMaybeNextYears_OneFlipFlop_1a.mp3 --  (Download: 5.98 MB)

One of those kick samples must have some super low end, it is booming out of the sub-woofer and disappears when I turn it off. The mix sounds good when I turn the sub woofer off. Get control of that kick low end and it'll be right there.
--------
Opinions are like Farts, everyone else's stinks
One of the kick samples must have a ton of energy in the super low end. I think a lot of these mixes are having difficulty with it. I have my sub crossed over at 80 Hz I only hear the issue when the sub is on but it has been with multiple versions of this song.
--------
Thanks.. that's likely. I have some  YamahaHS8's which go down much better than the HS5's - which is why I got  them but there may be some crazy low end sneakin' in there that I'm not hearing here. I should hi-pass all of those weird samples to ensure there's none of that wacky low end stuff in there. I could probably work with just the acoustic kick tracks.
Before I got a subwoofer and some decent headphones, I was constantly having to go to my wife's car to judge the low end. So having to wait for her to get home so I could see where my mix was. Super cool.
--------
(13-09-2020, 04:54 AM)DctrRoss Wrote: Before I got a subwoofer and some decent headphones, I was constantly having to go to my wife's car to judge the low end. So having to wait for her to get home so I could see where my mix was. Super cool.
-----------
Ha! Done that. We used to listen to take-home mixes all the time in the car on the way home from the studio. (Back when there's was 2" tape and it cost piles of money to have a studio ). Not sure if that would have been a good low end detector though. In the studio, we had some JBL 4311's - which were the standard just about everywhere - back in that era. Also, some monster (we called "airboat") speakers which likely would have put out any rogue sub lows..probably some model of JBL's as well.

I have some decent Sennheiser headphones here but I'm not sure all that low end mush would really show up in them.
Adding a subwoofer is probably going to be the way to go.
           Thanks for the thunder alert.

I did a "1a" mix which hopefully eliminated a lot of the rumble.

NT
I used to be able to tell by the throw on the ns-10 woofer if I had to much low end.

The Cassettes decks in the studios were so unreliable I ended up putting a DAT player in my car. Before that I bought a DIY kit for an FM transmitter that I could hook right up to the console. I did that because I lost a good client because he took a cassette from the studio to a club and the cassette had no low end and he was really embarrassed. He thought it was my mix and never used me again. I always had people listen to the Cassettes and the FM signal from them on.
--------
(13-09-2020, 06:30 PM)DctrRoss Wrote: I used to be able to tell by the throw on the ns-10 woofer if I had to much low end.

The Cassettes decks in the studios were so unreliable I ended up putting a DAT player in my car.  Before that I bought a DIY kit for an FM transmitter that I could hook right up to the console. I did that because I lost a good client because he took a cassette from the studio to a club and the cassette had no low end and he was really embarrassed.  He thought it was my mix and never used me again.  I always had people listen to the Cassettes and the FM signal from them on.
------------------------ -----------------------------------------------------
           I like the FM Transmitter idea to remove all the tape issues from the problem.
           Digital has at least taken care of that.

We did have one safety net back in the day. I believe our stuff got mastered (for vinyl) at Sterling Sound.