Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Maybe Next Years - One Flip Flop
Hi,
When the floor and the back of my head collide...
Cheers!

Update : Added mix 1.0 - More vocal / less kick.
Update : Added mix 1.1 - less vocal?

Update: Added Mix 2.0 - Less harsh? Tried to follow Roy's advice and also checked out some refs.
Update: Added Mix 2.1 - Lowered volume of Guitar3 riffs (left the solo as it was). Roy's advice again, thanks!

.mp3    The Maybe Next Years - One Flip Flop.mp3 --  (Download: 7.6 MB)

.mp3    The Maybe Next Years - One Flip Flop 1.0.mp3 --  (Download: 7.6 MB)

.mp3    The Maybe Next Years - One Flip Flop 1.1.mp3 --  (Download: 7.6 MB)

.mp3    The Maybe Next Years - One Flip Flop 2.0.mp3 --  (Download: 7.44 MB)

.mp3    The Maybe Next Years - One Flip Flop 2.1.mp3 --  (Download: 7.44 MB)

Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
My initial feelings were the kick was to much but after listening thru I may like it, perhaps bring the vocals up and the Overheads or Room back some.
Hi!

Thanks for checking out the mix and for the comments.

Yeah I think the kick is bit loud, and maybe the overheads too. I've uploaded another version with less kick & overheads and more vocals. Personally for this I think prefer the vocals a little more down in the mix so the guitars etc seem a bit louder relative to them.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
yeah the vocals are to loud now. I have found that finding the correct vocal level in Punk or heavily driven guitar songs is harder and more sensitive than like a pop or RnB song. They are less forgiving for some reason.
Hah. Big Grin

Well, at least you now have a choice of loud kick and quiet vocal, or quieter kick and loud vocal.

Mixing heavy guitar stuff is really hard anyway I think.  So few elements and you've got to get the tone and balance right of all of them.  It's a juggling act to give the impression of everything being loud and fighting against each other, that's the main challenge.  Also some people prefer upfront vocals, others not.  Whether you listen on headphones or speakers will also make a difference to the perceived vocal level too I think. 

I might post mix v.1 with the vocals too quiet in a bit Smile.

Thanks for checking the updated mix and the feedback, much appreciated.

Cheers!
Hey Mikej i like this mix, alot of grit Smile I like your highfi-style with alot of highend, its ballsy. For this one i think just think its a tiny bit over the top, in my monitoring, but i almost had no highs in mine Tongue, other then that its thuggy. I am refering to the first version so sorry if i missed any update.
I only listened to 1.1 and it feels very midrange heavy. It feels like constant yelling. It's very 'in your face' and aggressive and the song gets lost.

I'm not saying your a bad person, mind you. But I'm not, not saying that Mike.
(17-09-2020, 10:21 PM)crownoise Wrote: Hey Mikej i like this mix, alot of grit Smile I like your highfi-style with alot of highend, its ballsy. For this one i think just think its a tiny bit over the top, in my monitoring, but i almost had no highs in mine Tongue, other then that its thuggy. I am refering to the first version so sorry if i missed any update.
Thanks for the comments - yeah I was trying for 'that' sound.  I think you are right that I have over cooked it a bit.  I thought it sounded in the ballpark at the time, but it is quite difficult to maintain perspective and not keep piling on extra midrange as the mix continues...  Latest is currently the 1.1 version, but I didn't change the tone between mixes.  I think I'll give it another go. 

Cheers!
(17-09-2020, 11:46 PM)RoyM Wrote: I only listened to 1.1 and it feels very midrange heavy. It feels like constant yelling. It's very 'in your face' and aggressive and the song gets lost.

It is trying to be punk isn't it?  So I want that midrange, aggressive in your face edge.. Constant yelling is what it is, no? I think you (and crownoise) are right that I ended up with maybe too much midrange pressure though. I think I shall try and give this one another go soon.  I need loads more practice at this anyway.

(Character aspersion aside. I think it's supposed to be you're a bad person. Not your?)

Cheers!
(18-09-2020, 02:22 PM)mikej Wrote:
(17-09-2020, 11:46 PM)RoyM Wrote: I only listened to 1.1 and it feels very midrange heavy. It feels like constant yelling. It's very 'in your face' and aggressive and the song gets lost.

It is trying to be punk isn't it?  So I want that midrange, aggressive in your face edge.. Constant yelling is what it is, no? I think you (and crownoise) are right that I ended up with maybe too much midrange pressure though. I think I shall try and give this one another go soon.  I need loads more practice at this anyway.

(Character aspersion aside. I think it's supposed to be you're a bad person. Not your?)

Cheers!

I stand by my typo.

I get what you're saying and the intent but I think it gets in the way of the song. Let the punks yell and be aggressive. They're doing a fair job of it. The mix should aid the riot, not be a part of it. 

Anyway, what I'm saying is, I forgive you.