Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flames
Hybrid mix on this song that feels pretty good to me. 

Any comments are always much appreciated and important to us all, I will gladly listen and offer constructive criticism to any member.

Track mixed & mastered in Pro Tools and monitored through Adam A77X near fields

.mp3    Flames .mp3 --  (Download: 12.44 MB)

The overall mix seems a bit dark. I think a shelf at 4 or 5K would help the whole thing for me.
(09-09-2020, 03:48 PM)DctrRoss Wrote: The overall mix seems a bit dark. I think a shelf at 4 or 5K would help the whole thing for me.
The mix translated pretty well to me on all playback systems I have tried. what did you listen back on?
It may be that I just finished the same track and have it overly bright and that is what I am used to listening to.
(09-09-2020, 06:09 PM)DctrRoss Wrote: It may be that I just finished the same track and have it overly bright and that is what I am used to listening to.
Cool no problem . I will listen & comment on your mix later on when I am in the studio. I do appreciate your time and response very much. Perspective is important. I do feel as though I have my room /monitors dialed in but some recordings require more eq or processing in certain areas and that is where I tread lightly. Like heavy guitars. I am always critical of the high mids as too much will wreck the mix for me. I use a few sources to monitor through and check often to ensure it translates. I felt like if anything I have a bit too much low end in this mix.
Mine is super bright but compare yours to one of theirs and it still seems a bit dark, maybe it's just the guitars.

https://open.spotify.com/track/6QKVpVfJ1...9pZ8HiWf4A

I've got an api 550A plugin on my guitar buss with +9 at 5K in the middle band and +4 at 5K on the high shelf. Then another distortion plugin that sort of adds highs.

but with that said I don't know how much above 10K I hear any more beside the ringing.
I think you may be right, after listening again to a reference and your advice I remastered the same mix but this version is more compressed than the previous master which you will hear mainly however I used a massive passive with some high mid boosts as well as some cuts in the low end. I have not yet listened on anything outside of the studio but I think I like it better already.

.mp3    Flames .01 .mp3 --  (Download: 12.5 MB)