Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About This Multitrack
You can find the multitrack files for this project in the 'Mixing Secrets' Free Multitrack Download Library.

Before posting a mix, please read The Three Commandments!
Please post your mix as a new thread, rather than as a reply to this sticky.

Here's some more project info you might find useful:
  • About The Raw Multitracks:
    • The drum tracks comprise sampled kick, snare, clap (x2), hi-hat (x3), and cymbal parts.
    • The main rhythmic bass synth line is supplemented by a separate sub-bass synth part.
    • Three synth parts are provided in both wet and dry variants, and there are also two synth special-effect tracks, the second with a wet variant.
  • Challenges You're Likely To Face:
    • Although these electronic sounds are well chosen, they won't impress a great deal in their raw form, and rely on your effects processing to bring them to life and bind them together.
    • The low end of a mix like this is critical, in particular the way the sub-bass synth and kick sample interact with other tracks.
    • With so much repetition inherent in the arrangement, it may not be easy to generate much sense of forward momentum.
  • Some Mixing Tips: Although this isn't a mix I've attempted myself, here are some suggestions that come to mind:
    • Get the kick and bass happening first of all, and don't bother bringing anything else in until they seem to work well together. Then make sure that you don't cloud them too much with the low end of other parts that you add subsequently.
    • Global send effects won't be that useful here, because you're not after a normal mix blend. Per-track effects will be much more handy for giving each individual track a unique and contrasting identity. That said, don't necessarily set all the effects up as inserts, or else you won't have enough control over them from a mix perspective.
    • Get automated effects involved if you want to give the static repetitions more of an evolving quality.
    • Don't be afraid to use the 'wet' versions of the synth tracks if you like what they sound like. There's no sense in reinventing the wheel just for the sake of it! That said, mixing the wet versions with the dry versions may give you a little more control of the sound.
    • There's only one transition effect here (the reverse cymbal), and that seems a bit meager for this kind of style, so try experimenting with other samples, or create new transitions with audio editing and/or automated effects.

If you have any other general questions about this multitrack, just reply to this post and I'll see what I can do.
What is the tempo of the session?
It will tell you in the read me file.