Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remember Jones - Don't Put Me On Hold
Hi,

Tried to give it a good go!

Cheers!

.mp3    Remember Jones - Don\'t Put Me On Hold.mp3 --  (Download: 7.73 MB)

Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Hey MikeJ,

very natural balance and nice mix. The drums however, espcially the snare dissapear a bit in the mix. They could have a bit more attack. The oohs are a bit loud, otherwise very nice.

Cheers,
Lukas Angel
Hi!

Thanks for checking out my mix and for taking the time to comment, much appreciated!

I feel the snare is ok for my taste. I am thinking more 70's style funk and soul, rather than rock. I don't feel that the snare needs to be quite so up front and smashed for this track. The drums can take a bit more of a back seat to the vocals and horn section - I was quite pleased with how the horn section came across, anyway. I think the master bus compressor is doing a good job with the snare and vocal level balance. I suppose I am saying that the snare sound and level in the mix was a deliberate decision. Similar with the BV's - they are really good and I didn't want to bury them. Just my take - that's not to say I don't appreciate your view point as well.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(06-09-2020, 07:32 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi!

Thanks for checking out my mix and for taking the time to comment, much appreciated!

I feel the snare is ok for my taste.  I am thinking more 70's style funk and soul, rather than rock.  I don't feel that the snare needs to be quite so up front and smashed for this track.  The drums can take a bit more of a back seat to the vocals and horn section - I was quite pleased with how the horn section came across, anyway.  I think the master bus compressor is doing a good job with the snare and vocal level balance.  I suppose I am saying that the snare sound and level in the mix was a deliberate decision.  Similar with the BV's - they are really good and I didn't want to bury them.  Just my take - that's not to say I don't appreciate your view point as well.

Cheers!
It's always a bit difficult on this forum to seperate intentional mix decisions from "mistakes". Knowing the things I mentioned were deliberate decisions, it works very well. I came back to your mix, while trying to mix this thing myself and you achieved great seperation and clarity between instruments. I struggled with that and I'm still dissatisfied with my mix, probably lost perspective along the way...

Cheers,
Lukas Angel
Hi!

I know what you mean. As far as my mixes go I really do welcome all comments and opinions. Sometimes (rarely!) I feel I should defend my position a little though. Saying that, in my case a mix decision and a 'mistake' could very well be the same thing Big Grin, which is why its great to be able to discuss them on here!

Cheers!