Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Angels In Amplifiers: 'I'm Alright' - RayK25
What an awesome forum! 
Just recently discovered the multi-track library.. such a great opportunity for those up and coming.  
Thanks to all that make this site possible. 

This is a great song... the band is very tight. 
If anyone can take a few minutes to critique it would be greatly appreciated. 

- Ray K

.mp3    AngelsInAmplifiers_ImAlright_200822_114801.mp3 --  (Download: 6.83 MB)

Hi!

Ok, I'll take you up on those few minutes you've offered to give a critique.

Can't promise the critique will be of any use mind, but I'll give it a go.

First impressions are that it is pretty good!

I like that you've got the bass sounding nice and present without being boomy. It might be competing a bit much with the vocal during the verses a bit though maybe? You could try and blend it in with the rest of the band a touch, make sure you leave those nice fills poking out though.

Overall, the mix sounds a little - hard to describe - sort of edgy in the 2k-ish region I think. Not sure if it's reverb, a touch over-eq'd in that area or maybe a little overcompressed/limited on the mix bus. I really notice it with the acoustics in the intro (around the 3 second mark)?

I wonder if you mixing on headphones or monitors? For me I found it easier to hear this 'edginess' by monitoring at quite a low level. Works for me, but might not be for everyone.

I don't think it's entirely your fault as I think the raw tracks kind of have a bit of that quality to them to begin with and limiting/compression just brings it out more. I could be the only person that thinks that though.

Guitar solo might be a touch loud, but I guess we all like loud guitars, so might not be a major issue.

Well, those are my thoughts, what do you think?

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Hello mikej, thanks for the review.  Your comments are very welcomed.

To generate the desired energy, the limiter was pushed a bit hard on this one.  Also, the bass was raised for the same reason.  For reference, I use a combo of Yamaha HS8s (w/ sub), iloud micros & SONY MDR-7506 along with several other general consumer audio components including my Tacoma pickup. Smile 

Yes, the guitar is rockin'.  I did side chain a compressor (sourcing the vocal) just before the outro as it was otherwise aggressively competing with the vocal. 

Thanks for listening.  I will try to return the favor and give you a critique! 

- Ray K