Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Angels In Amplifiers - I'm Alright (3?)
Hi,
Decided to have another go at this one again this afternoon.
Cheers!

Update: 3.1 - Minor tweak to bg vox eq.  Increased electric guitar a hair (and lightly sidechained it by lead vocals).
Update: 3.2 - Tweaks to drums, lead vox, e.guitar. Thanks!
Update: 3.3 - Bit more volume on e.guitar solos and some minor automation on the guitar chords between the vocals whilst I was at it. Thanks!
Update: 3.4 - Attempt at to changing the ending...

.mp3    Angels In Amplifiers - I\'m Alright 3.0.mp3 --  (Download: 6.87 MB)

.mp3    Angels In Amplifiers - I\'m Alright 3.1.mp3 --  (Download: 6.87 MB)

.mp3    Angels In Amplifiers - I\'m Alright 3.2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.87 MB)

.mp3    Angels In Amplifiers - I\'m Alright 3.3.mp3 --  (Download: 6.87 MB)

.mp3    Angels In Amplifiers - I\'m Alright 3.4.mp3 --  (Download: 6.82 MB)

Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
mikej, 

First off, I am a believer that music and production are true forms of art.  Just because big money making labels do things a certain way, that doesn't make it 'right'.  With that said, opinions are just that.. opinions.  Making obvious errors like clipping could be called an error but sometimes even clipping might be desired. Smile  Without fully knowing the intention of the artists / producer, it is difficult to say something is 'wrong'.  One can only like or dislike. 

- Smooth Bass.  Blended very well with the kick which is key for this genre, IMO.  
- Overall, relatively good dynamics. 
Dislikes:
- Lead vocal has a nasal presence. 
- Drums, other than the kick, appear faint, distant..  maybe excessive verb, room track / overheads?
- Lead guitar is thin and a bit harsh -more saturation / compression?    
- Backup vocals are a bit strong in places, i.e., 0:38. 
- Shaker is too bright.  Was probably tracked that way.  I remember having to cut some hi-freq.

- Ray K
Thanks! Added updated mix. Think the BV issue was actually LV issue.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Sound real good to me.  Everything is sitting well. Drums feel nice, not overpowering just enough to keep the groove. Vocal sounds good. Nice bright guitars.
Hi!

Thanks for listening and for the feedback - much appreciated.

Cheers!
3.2 sounding nice and polished to me mikej.  I feel the lead guitar solo and fills are still a bit low.  You could almost volume match these with the main vox I reckon. No other complaint my end.  Nice work!
(27-08-2020, 10:15 PM)Dangerous Wrote: 3.2 sounding nice and polished to me mikej.  I feel the lead guitar solo and fills are still a bit low.  You could almost volume match these with the main vox I reckon. No other complaint my end.  Nice work!
To be honest I was in two minds about the solo volume.  Sometimes I'd play it back and it would feel ok to me, and other times like you say I kind of wanted it a bit louder to kind of take the place of the vocal.  

I've uploaded another version (3.3) with the solo volumes bumped up a bit, etc.  I think it's better? So I think you are right with your suggestion there.  The guitar parts are really good after all, so no harm in turning them up a bit!

Thanks for listening, and I really appreciate the comments.

Cheers!
This is a jam!

The 3.3 version has a very cohesive, dense sound, while still retaining enough dynamics. Also great attention to detail, with those added delayed vocals. My only idea (or absolute nitpick) is that the end of a song might benefit from a longer reverb tail on the vocal ("you") or, alternativly, remove the delayed guitar and dry-up the vocal completly for the last line ("a little piece of you") for a more "decisive" ending. That woul be the cherry on-top for me, but this mix is still great.

Cheers,
Lukas Angel
Hi!

Thanks for checking out the mix and for your comments.

I like your ideas for the ending - good suggestions - thanks!. Your second idea appeals to me. I still have the mix session, so I might as well give it a go and upload another version. It can be a little disappointing getting to the end of a good mix and it falling at the very last hurdle!

Cheers!
Hi!

Seems the guitar delay is baked in... I faded out the guitar a bit, and also faded out the vocal reverb before the last phrase. Didn't quite work out as I thought due to that baked in guitar delay. Decided to upload anyway since I had a play around with it!

Cheers!