Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
North To Alaska: 'All The Same'
Mixing Neve Console

.mp3    NorthToAlaska_Full.mp3 --  (Download: 9.21 MB)

Hi!

Great mix - enjoyed listening to this - and also your vision for the track.

Really like the shape of the guitars and the drums/bass/vocals at the 41 sec mark, and the dynamics. Kind of what I was trying for but didn't quite achieve. Nice to hear what is possible and have something to aim for. Certainly given me some ideas anyway.

Drums sound great up front at 1:30 ish. Thought the vocals maybe lost a bit too much clarity at the 1:40 mark, but I'm also guessing that was a creative choice. Nice dynamic between sections too.

Great job fitting in that guitar solo thing at the end too, you got it working really well. I ended up deleting the last bit of it I think.

Just out of curiosity, which eq's were you using (guitar), if you don't mind me asking. I guess I'm really asking how much neve console this mix is I suppose.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(23-08-2020, 10:56 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi!

Great mix - enjoyed listening to this - and also your vision for the track. 

Really like the shape of the guitars and the drums/bass/vocals at the 41 sec mark, and the dynamics.  Kind of what I was trying for but didn't quite achieve.  Nice to hear what is possible and have something to aim for.  Certainly given me some ideas anyway. 

Drums sound great up front at 1:30 ish.  Thought the vocals maybe lost a bit too much clarity at the 1:40 mark, but I'm also guessing that was a creative choice.  Nice dynamic between sections too. 

Great job fitting in that guitar solo thing at the end too, you got it working really well.  I ended up deleting the last bit of it I think.

Just out of curiosity, which eq's were you using (guitar), if you don't mind me asking.  I guess I'm really asking how much neve console this mix is I suppose.

Cheers!
Hello! Thanks for taking the time to listen to my mix. As for the console itself, I did some of the work on the console, but most of the work I did in the editor, as I like a number of plugins:
API 550B
Transient shaper
PuigTec EQP1A
SPL MK2-T Vitalizer
PSP Vintage Warmer 2.

Maag eq 4.
For the guitars, I used a CLA 3A compressor and an API 550B equalizer.
I also used a DI guitar amp from Brainworx rockrack.
I hope I could help you! If you have any questions, ask, I will answer.
PS: I listened to your mix, I was curious! If you are ready to discuss your mix, write.
Hi!

Many thanks for the reply and insight - very useful and much appreciated!

I have the CLA-3A and API550B plugins. I don't use the API550B at all really, so might be time to investigate it again. I find I am using the stock Reaper eq mostly these days. I do really like the 2500 plugin though. I tend to use the glue compressor mostly, but the 2500 is really nice I think, and has a lot of useful features too, especially being able to unlink the left and right, and the sidechain eq options, etc. CLA-3A I think is good on guitars and things when needed though.

I think I found the 2db? increments a little too much. I shall definitely revisit it sometime. I find it is really useful checking out these different eq's and finding out what you get from the fixed eq points and eq curves, then transferring that knowledge over to the stock eq to get a sound.

Can't remember if I used an amp plugin or not on my mix not sure - it's something I have been trying recently though on some mixes.

I think my main issue is that I need to listen to more guitar based music so I know what I am aiming for! I think I did check out some of Ryan Wiliam's mixes though.

Yeah, I'm happy for you to leave any comments and criticisms, etc on my mix if you have the time! Good or bad, I find it always helps to get a different perspective on things Smile.

I'll have to give it another listen myself too as it has been a little while since I did it, which might be interesting!

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(04-09-2020, 08:34 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi!

Many thanks for the reply and insight - very useful and much appreciated!

I have the CLA-3A and API550B plugins.  I don't use the API550B at all really, so might be time to investigate it again.  I find I am using the stock Reaper eq mostly these days.  I do really like the 2500 plugin though.  I tend to use the glue compressor mostly, but the 2500 is really nice I think, and has a lot of useful features too, especially being able to unlink the left and right, and the sidechain eq options, etc.  CLA-3A I think is good on guitars and things when needed though. 

I think I found the 2db? increments a little too much.  I shall definitely revisit it sometime.  I find it is really useful checking out these different eq's and finding out what you get from the fixed eq points and eq curves, then transferring that knowledge over to the stock eq to get a sound.

Can't remember if I used an amp plugin or not on my mix not sure - it's something I have been trying recently though on some mixes.

I think my main issue is that I need to listen to more guitar based music so I know what I am aiming for!  I think I did check out some of Ryan Wiliam's mixes though.

Yeah, I'm happy for you to leave any comments and criticisms, etc on my mix if you have the time! Good or bad, I find it always helps to get a different perspective on things Smile.

I'll have to give it another listen myself too as it has been a little while since I did it, which might be interesting!

Cheers!
I'm glad to help! I think it's no secret to anyone that you can work with guitars with cut frequencies and boosts. I prefer to add usually 2 dB. that's more than enough. but with acoustic guitars there is much more difficult. because I use the surgical method of cutting and for these cases the fabfilter equalizer is best suited. as far as my reference pop rock records are concerned, it's Nickelback. They have a really cool drum sound that's what I'm trying to get such a powerful sound in my mixes (though not this mix - it won't be appropriate here). I advise you to listen to their nickelback - burn it to the ground, Feed the Machine, Song on Fire, Satellite. I also recommend listening to the 2nd the Law album by Muse. this album was mixed by sound engineer Chris lord alge. very talented sound engineer. later I will make an analysis of the mix in your topic.
I love using the cla 3a compressor on guitars, because you plug it in and make small changes and the guitars sound more powerful without changing the dynamics due to the optics. With regards to gluing tools, at the moment this is the top 1 compressor for and the best has not yet been seen. this is the SSL G-Master Buss Compressor. This is a versatile compressor that can be used both on the drum and on the master section.
Hi!

Yeah, It's the Cytomic Glue compressor I use on mixbus and drum bus. I have the Waves one too, but prefer the Cytomic mostly. The additional sidechain filter and mix knob are quite useful.

Thanks for the mix refs, much appreciated. Big fan of CLA. The Tina Turner albums he mixed are amazing. He's mixed everything from James Brown, Grandmaster Flash, Deniece Williams, Jane Child, through to Green Day and Shinedown and everything else in between. All great.

Cheers!