Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My mixing style is a bit strange, but I did it anyway. ("Cage", Mix & Master)
Detailed, loud and dry. It's how I roll.

The things I had to do, to deal with the vox...  Confused

so. many. edits.

Anyway, this is my first post here. Constructive criticism welcome.

EDIT:

Tweaked almost everything (based on feedback)... it's pretty much a new mix. Check out MIX_02 MIX_03 and lemme know what you think.

EDIT(edit): Fixed a few things... deleted 02 & uploaded MIX_03.

.mp3    The-Black-Crown_Cage_Progtronic-MIX_01.mp3 --  (Download: 9.52 MB)

.mp3    The-Black-Crown_Cage_Progtronic-MIX_03.mp3 --  (Download: 9.52 MB)

Ok so I gave a listen but cant hear the whole track for some reason. I have to download it to listen past the first chorus so I only heard that far.
Tonally its ok, low & high end are controlled and thats a good start. Drums sound heavily compressed and with a long release time. You may want to ease up on the amount and quicken the release times to get a little snap.
Guitars need some eq to open up some areas for vocal- id cut around 900 and see how it sounds from there but they all need to be eq'd a bit different.
Try to build power with the bass, and at that point see how the vox are doing . id recommend removing all plugins except eq & compressors until you like the balance. Then play around with reverbs/delays etc.
(25-08-2020, 02:24 AM)lowtiderider Wrote: Ok so I gave a listen but cant hear the whole track for some reason. I have to download it to listen past the first chorus so I only heard that far.
Tonally its ok, low & high end are controlled and thats a good start. Drums sound heavily compressed and with a long release time. You may want to ease up on the amount and quicken the release times to get a little snap.
Guitars need some eq to open up some areas for vocal- id cut around 900 and see how it sounds from there but they all need to be eq'd a bit different.
Try to build power with the bass, and at that point see how the vox are doing . id recommend removing all plugins except eq & compressors until you like the balance. Then play around with reverbs/delays etc.

Thanks for the feedback. Have you tried a different browser?

I don't use a lot of compression, but I'm using a limiter on the drums pretty aggressively. Though, they still sound really punchy to me.. but this is why another set of ears is useful. Sorta start to not hear stuff correctly in a mix you've heard a billion times.

Same deal with the vox vs. the guitars. Thought they were separated, frequency wise. The higher pitched/octaved distortion on that particular guitar might be the issue. Side chained dynamic frequency ducking might help with that one as well.

Thanks again for listening (well, to some of it anyway.. hope you get that figured out), and commenting.
Hi,

Sounds a bit harsh and overcompressed/limited to me right from the start I think? Yeah could be it's mostly the drums. (edit: No I think its the guitars as well). It's mainly the kick that perhaps dominates too much and I think is setting the tone for the whole mix perhaps?

Cheers!

(Another Edit to add that I was able to play the track all the way through here).
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(25-08-2020, 12:03 PM)Progtronic Wrote:
(25-08-2020, 02:24 AM)lowtiderider Wrote: Ok so I gave a listen but cant hear the whole track for some reason. I have to download it to listen past the first chorus so I only heard that far.

I don't use a lot of compression, but I'm using a limiter on the drums pretty aggressively. Though, they still sound really punchy to me.. but this is why another set of ears is useful. Sorta start to not hear stuff correctly in a mix you've heard a billion times.

Same deal with the vox vs. the guitars. Thought they were separated, frequency wise. The higher pitched/octaved distortion on that particular guitar might be the issue. Side chained dynamic frequency ducking might help with that one as well.

Thanks again for listening (well, to some of it anyway.. hope you get that figured out), and commenting.
You may want to look at your monitoring situation to be certain you can trust what you hear. Not sure if your using headphones or monitors but any effort in improving your room/listening system will go a long way in improving your mixes
(25-08-2020, 12:18 PM)lowtiderider Wrote:
(25-08-2020, 12:03 PM)Progtronic Wrote:

You may want to look at your monitoring situation to be certain you can trust what you hear. Not sure if your using headphones or monitors but any effort in improving your room/listening system will go a long way in improving your mixes
I did try two other browsers and had the same luck. Interestingly enough, I logged on using a pc and I could hear the whole track. Problem is my pc speakers sound awful  Sad
(25-08-2020, 12:14 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi,

Sounds a bit harsh and overcompressed/limited to me right from the start I think?  Yeah could be it's mostly the drums. (edit: No I think its the guitars as well).  It's mainly the kick that perhaps dominates too much and I think is setting the tone for the whole mix perhaps?

Cheers!

(Another Edit to add that I was able to play the track all the way through here).

Thanks man. I put up a new mix (MIX_02 MIX_03), addressing most of the feedback. Still tried to keep the basic sound I was initially going for. Hopefully it's a lot better sounding overall now.

• warmed everything up a little
  • decompressed almost every track
  • drums should be punchier, but still tonal
  • added some automated FX
  • tweaked all the guitar tones
  • put the vox in a better frequency space (still might clash with the guitars a bit)
There's prolly more, but that's the main stuff that got tweaked. Undecided
whoah
I want to be the very best.