Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comfort Lives in Belief great mix
Big Grin
Good evening gentlemans.

I chose to mix this song because I really loved that vibe, this type of blues rock ballad aways catch me. And oh my god is that Tom Petty singing? Man that voice really flown me to Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers vibe, what a great voice tone.

First of all I have to say that I didn't sync the drums in grid because there were so many parts out of tempo that I would loose too much time in that, so I decided to focus on the song vibe and truth.
I searched for a bluesy sound with heavy drums and slap delayed voice, I liked the result, your feedbacks are really welcome!

Sry for bad english,
Greetins from Brazil!
Keep music alive let's keep recording forever!

VitorTongue

.mp3    Voelund - Comfort Lives in Belief.mp3 --  (Download: 7.42 MB)

First I´d like to expres my humble appreciation you like my voice :-)
Second your mix is interesting as it has the cymbals mixed so low its nearly only kick and snare and percussion.
But it works. I may not agree on the eq of drums, the lvl of bas and certainly not the lvl of voice, its a bit loud.
But the vibe is there.
As Ive written to a couple of other mixers of this, the 3 leadguitar parts were not all meant to be used.
2 of them were the takes, the 3rd the comp I made, and not a vry god comp Im sorry. It was a hasty recordin and mix ...
I hope you will allow yourself the fun it is to make your own comp, move parts around, repeat them, play them backwards, whatever. Feel free to come up with new and great ideas for this.

The bas and kick could work a little better together, bas bein a bit back in your mix. I know the sound of it isnt the best, but I also know its able to work better with the drums.
Happy new year - I dont need to grow my hair long to look like Tom Petty but I need to get a better drummer Big Grin
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Voelund I really appreciate your feedback. I will work on the bass to bring it a little more to life.
I would please ask you to explain better what you mean with "not agree on the eq of drums". You really thought that voice is loud?
Ok happy new year!
Its harder to use words than give a listenin example, heres my mix of it from when I made it. I think the drums in your mix has not as muc lowend and impact as I remember.
The voice loud ? well I have grown to like a voice that more blends with the music. Thats a matter of taste and something you shouldnt worry too much about, some like blondes, some brunettes right Big Grin

Gonna shut down for today and thx for the interst in my music !

.mp3    Comfort lim 05.mp3 --  (Download: 7.42 MB)

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
(31-12-2013, 12:54 AM)Vitor Pavan Wrote: Big Grin
Good evening gentlemans.

I chose to mix this song because I really loved that vibe, this type of blues rock ballad aways catch me. And oh my god is that Tom Petty singing? Man that voice really flown me to Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers vibe, what a great voice tone.

First of all I have to say that I didn't sync the drums in grid because there were so many parts out of tempo that I would loose too much time in that, so I decided to focus on the song vibe and truth.
I searched for a bluesy sound with heavy drums and slap delayed voice, I liked the result, your feedbacks are really welcome!

Sry for bad english,
Greetins from Brazil!
Keep music alive let's keep recording forever!

VitorTongue

Wow. When this first started the drums kinda kicked me in the forehead and I was thinking, "Hoo boy... this is gonna be a train wreck..." Dodgy

I was wrong. Blush

Actually, I really like the approach you took here. The instruments you hard panned to the left and right really sound neat that way, and I wouldn't have thought so had someone simply described this mix to me.

That being said, it does seem to feel a little "collapsed" in the center, as if Voelund and the drums are standing in a deep hole with the rest of the band standing on the ledges on either side of him and the drummer. Maybe if you add some nice spacious reverb to the organ and bring it a little more forward it might fill out the center a bit.

I love the drum sound you created here, though I'm not convinced it's a good fit for this song. That being said, sound notwithstanding the drums are WAY too punchy here; I'd bring them down a good 5-6 dB. That might solve the whole problem, actually.

Still, despite these flaws, a surprisingly enjoyable and creative mix. Smile
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
(31-12-2013, 02:00 PM)Voelund Wrote: I dont need to grow my hair long to look like Tom Petty but I need to get a better drummer Big Grin

I know an excellent drummer. Smile Unfortunately, we live on Cape Breton Island in Nova Scotia, Canada, he in Donkin, me in Sydney, so I suspect we're a little too far from you for him to come in and record live, though the two of you might consider an Internet-based collaboration...?

If you're interested, let me know and I'll email him my mix of your "Comfort Lives in Belief" and the raw isolated drum tracks (I may not have the project but I can always download the tracks again and do a quick demo mix of the drums for him Wink).
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
(31-12-2013, 03:11 PM)Voelund Wrote: Its harder to use words than give a listenin example, heres my mix of it from when I made it. I think the drums in your mix has not as muc lowend and impact as I remember.
The voice loud ? well I have grown to like a voice that more blends with the music. Thats a matter of taste and something you shouldnt worry too much about, some like blondes, some brunettes right Big Grin

So this is your mix, huh? I do have a few suggestions but I have to say it's good enough to be very distracting. I was listening on headphones. I tend to walk around the room when I just listen to music and I got so into "the grove" here that I strayed too far from my stereo and accidentally yanked the cord right out of the jack... Blush

That being said, this is the best mix I've heard of your song other than my own. Given that this is your creative baby that doesn't surprise me. Smile I just have a few comments.

Drums all on the left is an interesting choice but it's the one thing about this mix that bugged me; I found that distracting. When bands are set up on stage the drummer tends to be in the center so that's where I expect the drum sound to be in ANY mix. Some stereo width to the kit overall, of course, but I think it should sit in center.

As far as the instrument mix goes, my ONLY complaint was the electric guitar was a tad sharp. Nothing serious, and of course very much a matter of taste, anyway; considering that this is your song that's a suggestion you can safely ignore.

One other thing. I found your vocals were a little too far back in this mix; they tended to get lost during the bigger moments of the song.

I find this is a common problem with people who engineer their own singing. We're all our own worst critics and tend to be much more critical of our own signing voices than others might be. Singers who mix their own music, therefore, subconsciously tend to bury their vocals in the hope of covering up the "flaws." Rolleyes

Dude, your voice is excellent. I know; I heard the soloed vocal track before I applied any reverb or processing to it. It has that perfectly laid back bluesy/70s/gospel feel this song needs. It deserves to shine, not hide. Smile

I deliberately avoid listening to original mixes before doing my own mix of a song (other than a quick boo at a preview to see if I like the song enough to bother doing a mix in the first place, and to get an idea of overall feel) so I've never heard your mix here until today.

I'm glad to say I like your version almost as much as my own; if not for the above mentioned quibbles it would easily be an even match for mine. Even better, really, insofar as, being your mix, it would better reflect your artistic intention. Wink

I hope you plan to post more multitracks; I'd love to work with your work again. Cool
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures