Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Gin Is Gone - Hot Milk Studio Mix
Well these tracks were certainly in good shape, there was not a lot of cleanup needed to get them into shape. I still did a fair amount of gain riding, especially on the horns. And I brightened the overheads a tick as well as the snare. I used a host of fairly moderate reverbs, separately designed for horns, piano and drums. I also added a subtle abount of 'bass space' to the double bass, really just on the midrange and dialled in to be felt and not heard. 
If anything, I suppose someone could accuse me of having the overheads a tick on the loud side. But since the drummer is the bandleader in this  recording, I thought that was appropriate. You know how it is, the guy paying you for the mix has to be the happiest guy in the room! And I say that without being paid for this mix ...  
Tongue
Have a listen and get back to me, I hope you enjoy listening to my mix as much as I enjoyed doing it!
Best,
Rob Cummings (Hot Milk Studio Berlin)

REVISION 1:
I had a fresh listen today and realized that the double bass was overlapping in the midrange with the piano. I cut different midranges on these two instruments to make room for each. Furthermore, I lowered the level of the snare bottom mic as well as the overheads, while also increasing the high shelf on the overheads. I also tweak the levels overall, trying to eliminate the impression of the drums overpowering the band.
An very important change I made was to narrow the stereo image of the piano as well as the overheads, I noticed the super wide nature of these two tracks sounded unrealistic. This also helps to separate the piano and the drums. The piano is panned slightly left and the drums slightly right. The double bass is panned centre to give a core to the mix.

.mp3    Maurizio Pagnutti Sextet - All The Gin Is Gonel.mp3 --  (Download: 8.69 MB)

.mp3    Maurizio Pagnutti Sextet - All The Gin Is Gone 2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.69 MB)